Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Year: 88
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: B700
Rated Cap: 71
Run Away Diesel! - '88 Ford B700 Won't shut off.

Hi, I'm new to diesels - I've got 6 buses I use for a party bus business - 5 gas, one diesel.
On a party last night, the bus wouldn't shut off.
It's Sunday today so no mechanics are working - to call and ask questions. I've unhooked the positive leads on the batteries and also the positive lead on the alternator . . . What next? I thought about unscrewing the the fuel filters, but from what I've heard, if you run a diesel out of gas, its a bear to get it started again - so I haven't gone this route yet.
There is not a fuel shut off button anywhere and I can't find a manual valve or something under the hood. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks, Jason

jasonvandyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Run Away Diesel! - '88 Ford B700 Won't shut off.

I'm sure you got it by now. But anyways a option you can do is to get something solid like a pot and put that over the air intake. Alos a plastic tote lid would work too. Cardboard may also work.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

unfortunately for you, a mechanically injected diesel will continue to run without any electricity.

unscrewing the fuel filter while she's running would probably be a little messy, but would certianly cause her to stall. Re-starting a diesel that ran out of fuel isn't the end of the world. Especially in a bus that has a flip up hood.

like the previous poster said, i'm sure you have it by now.

the fuel shutoff solenoid your'e looking for if it's a 6.6 litre 6 cylinder ford (or 7.8 litre) is on the passenger side plainly visible when the hood is open. I wish i had a photo. the solenoid is connected to a lever on the side of the injector pump. it'll only move one way...left or right i dont' remember, and the engine will shut off.

if it's a 6.9 or 7.3 liter, i'm not sure where the shutoff solenoid is, but it still has to be a lever on the side of the ip i would immagine. It might be difficult to find if you don't know what you're looking for.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I can go snap a picture of the solenoid right now if need be assuming you have a 6.6 or 7.8. Being that they need to be energize to open and spring closed I would start looking for a broken or worn spring or a grimed up cam mechanism since clearly it wasn't electrical current holding it open after you disconnected the alternator. I think a little bit of brake cleaner could go a long ways.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:34 PM   #5

I just bought a 1992 Ford b700 I had the same issue there should be a choke button to the right of steering wheel pull ot out engine should cut off
Hippiechick020 is offline   Reply With Quote