Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
running a chest freezer on it's side.

Hey, I have a pretty new 7.0 Holiday chest freezer, and it' not the optimum shape/size for the space available in my bus(about 3.7" high by 4' wide by 3' deep). Does anyone know if I can turn this thing on it's end and have it run ok? If not as is, would it be simple to modify it so it can be run this way? I've heard that they can't be transported on their side, but I wasn't sure it this still applies to new freezers or if it would be easy to flip the compressor(or whatever has problems being on it's side).

If so, I'd like to get a second one of these and have one set to freeze, and one set to cool. Combined they would take up about the same amount of space as my current single. I've looked into getting something that's designed a little better for my space, but I can't find anything that will fit without getting into the quadruple digit range, which is a bit more than I want to spend for a fridge in the bus.

Thanks

icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: running a chest freezer on it's side.

I think there is a problem with the oil in the compressor. Thats what I have been told all my life.
The brains on the site will surely know the answer. This is a great site.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360

Is it just the compressor that needs to be upright? Any chance I could bend some pipes and get it remounted? Or does the whole thing need have the proper feng shui to work?
icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Running them at enough of an angle (on on its side is enough of an angle ) you run into problems with hydrolocking the compressor meaning you are trying to compress a liquid. Oil runs where it is not supposed to and the orifice tube or TXV is unable to properly assure that the compressor is only getting gaseous refrigerant and not liquid refrigerant.