Maybe someone was trying to oversell me then
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have a reefer unit on a railroad car and it is rated at 5 tons cooling, and yes it is designed for freezing temps not a/c. However I have been using it for a/c and adjusted the expansion valve for my temps and refridgerent. After about 5 years use even the alternative refridgerant became not available, so replaced it with 5 rooftop rv units.

It was a very old thermo -king unit with the engine direct driving the compressor.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: In the market
I know the reefer units on semi trailers are small diesel engines which belt drive the compressor and blower unit but as mentioned these are units designed to refrigerate or even freeze the interior so I think a scaled down version like those on a small refrigerated delivery box truck would be more than adequate since we'd only be asking it for temperate not arctic output. What I'm not sure though is if the units on box trucks are self-contained with an engine driving it or if it's in any way dependent on the truck's engine and/or electrical system to maintain operation, like even if the truck is parked with the engine shut off would it be able to continue functioning. I will confess this is all pretty hypothetical right now anyways but I think it would be interesting to explore once I get my own bus to experiment with.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Many things to think about.

Iím probably going to hold off on the alternator upgrade for right now, and go back to my original idea of running a honda genny while driving. Just got to work out how best to hang the genny underneath, while giving it protection and a chance to breath without overheating.

Has anyone got any thoughts on these aftermarket air con units? (Link below)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A....c100677.m4598

They are advertised at a 20K btu unit, and would be a bit of project to install, but might help supplement my genny-driven air con during especially hot drives.

On a side note, Iíve added a housing over the dognose interior, with insulation, to cut down of firewall heat.

Cheers

Douggy
Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy View Post

Iím probably going to hold off on the alternator upgrade for right now, and go back to my original idea of running a honda genny while driving. Just got to work out how best to hang the genny underneath, while giving it protection and a chance to breath without overheating.

They are advertised at a 20K btu unit, and would be a bit of project to install, but might help supplement my genny-driven air con during especially hot drives.

On a side note, Iíve added a housing over the dognose interior, with insulation, to cut down of firewall heat.

Cheers

Douggy

check your chassis to body floor connections.. on my DEV the 2 parts were mated incorrectly.. i discovered it when I had the doghouse out for a trans replacement.. now that I fixed that. my engine heat is Very little now..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy View Post

Cheers

Douggy

Hey Christopher,

What do you think of that kit on eBay?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those kits look interesting.. and if you can portion off your cab it would definitely help.. my dash air in my DEV bus is a 25000 BTU evaporator.. I went ducted instead of a unit like this as I could locate vents that are directable to blow directly on me..

your biggest expensse and difficulty may be in obtaining the compressor brackets for your engine.. these kits dont come with them..

the other thing is these condensors.. I was tryinfg to see how it mounts.. you defimitely want to mount it far away from any engine heat... fans angled down and at a good angle under the bus..

I have learned the hard way that under-body condensors arent the best... my DEV bus has it and I suck a lot of hot road and blown-back front engine heat into that coil..

so im in the process of going to a skirt-mounted condensor where it sucks the air in from the side and blows it out the bottom.. live and learn.. I liked the clean lines on the sides of my bus and didnt want to cut the skirt... the bus I have wit ha skirt mounted condensor works MUCH better..

if your bus is an RE then you wont have as much of the same issue I have and this coil could be piut underneath right up front.. although in an RE you'll need much longer hoses..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote