Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Running Electrical Wires Outside?

While searching the web for other folks who are conversion nuts, I found a bus that used "black iron" pipe to run the propane line on the outside of the bus. It was stated that it made him feel safer knowing he could easily access any valves and joints in case of a leak. AND, if something happened to leak, it would be outside where it wouldn't asphyxiate him. Made sense to me.

But if one could do that with the propane, could one also do that with the wiring system? Either run the wires through metal conduit/black iron pipe on the exterior too, or hide them under the "rub rails"?

Any pros and/or cons to this setup?

P.S. - Going to look at another bus tonight. This one is already a toy hauler, so I'm hoping it's got a stronger engine. Wish me luck!

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Running Electrical Wires Outside?

i've run wires on the outside on occasion. underneath a bus is a good place to run wires, especially when you want to get a wire from passenger side to driver side of the bus, or after you finished your conversion and forgot to run a wire. Most times i run my wires on the interior along either the chair rail at the bottom, or up in the space where the wall and ceiling come together. The wires are protected better and not exposed to the elements this way.

When i do run exterior wires, i usually use wire that comes inside flexible conduit like this.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

But TECK is and should be used when you run something on the outside.

Quote:
CSA Teck 90
Aluminum Interlock Armoured Power and Control Cable
-40°C to 90°C Rated
Home
Electronic & Electrical Index
Search
Previous Next

Application:
Teck 90 cables are used in the pulp and paper, mining, petroleum, and chemical industries, as well as, in commercial and industrial building applications. They may be used under the following conditions:

In ventilated, non-ventilated, or ladder-type cable trays in dry or wet location
exposed or concealed wiring in dry or wet locations
on walls or beams
directly buried
CEC Class 1 Div 1&2 Group A,B,C,D
-40°C (-40°F) dry or wet environments
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Thanks, guys, for the links and ideas!

I must say, I'm rather frustrated right now. There is a bus I could buy, but it's not what I want. The bus I want, i can't afford to buy.
It's so very hard to be patient. Timing is everything, I'm afraid. I have the opportunity now to start building, and the weather is remarkably cool for this time of year. It would be the perfect time to start tearing out the interior and prepping for foam and framing.

As Baadpuppy said, "Be Patient Grasshopper".

But I want it ALL, and I want it NOW! (I know, I know... quitchyerbitchen)
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote