Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Running Rooftop AC down the road...

I'm getting really close to getting my bus...i can almost taste it...mmm diesel. Anyway, now that it's getting warmer, I'm thinking about air conditioning. How do you run a rooftop AC while en route to your destination? Can you run something that large off an inverter? If so, how large of an inverter and/or battery bank would be required? Would I need a genny to power the beast? Thanks in advance...

Ben.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Running Rooftop AC down the road...

It can be done, but you're way better off using a generator. It will take around a 3000 watt inverter and massive battery bank, which won't last long without charging. Or a moderate/large battery bank and a second alternator, which will need to also have high output. Remember, this alternator will consume engine power, and many of our Skoolies are already a bit underpowered. I'm going to build a generator bay, but for now I put my generator on a hitch mount cargo carrier. Have not used it on the road, but it should work just fine. Generator is the easiest and cheapest way to go. A third possibility is an add on engine driven compressor system. I think these are mostly used for a dash vented driver area A/C system, not whole bus cooling..
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Running Rooftop AC down the road...

You'll find that even the big Class-A Motor homes use the genny to power their roof a/c's when moving down the road. They all have dash air but that won't do much for the size of the unit. I got a genny bay ready, but have not mounted my genset in there yet.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote