Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Rust Control - am i just obsessive ?

my bus looks like that too... I just pretend it's not there.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

If you want to spend the $$$. There is POR 15.

http://www.por15.com/

I don't how much you can get at. The problem is that "RUST NEVER SLEEPS". I would just enjoy your bus and maybe look for another bus for a few years down the road.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

pressurewash it as clean as you can , hit the rest of the bad spots with a scraper and wire brush and then spray it with rustoleum primer, in a spray gun,a couple of good "wet" coats to soak into all of the cracks and seams should do the job. If you want you can topcoat the primer with a finish coat or you could use an undercoating product or non hardening roofing tar type product. use lots of material and cut the drips loose from the floor the next day so you can move the bus.
Make sure to wear your most used disposable work clothes under the tyvek overhauls, because everything goes into the garbage can at the end or the day.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Ok you scrape and prime the undercarriage of your bus, I'll do nothing to mine and in a few years we can both check back in and see the results. We can even post pictures if you want.

I don't know if you've ever used rustoleum to try to keep anything from rusting or not, but I have to give my 5X8 utility trailer a fresh coat of spray paint every year or it gets rusty. I even bought the fancy POR-15 stuff and did the bottom of my doors on my 97 F150, a month later the rust came back. On my car a few years ago the tops of my fenders were rusting out (typical on crown vics) I spent hours one afternoon cutting the rust out, priming with "rust stopping" rustoleum (even making sure it got into every little crack) Then I put bondo over the holes, sanded, and spray painted with rustoleum paint... 6 months later the rust was back.

I'm no body man, but I've learned there's really no stopping rust. If you want to spend days grinding rust off your undercarriage and spraying rustolium/undercoating everywhere have at it, but it seems like a waste of time to me.