Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Rust converter preference

I have very little experience at most of what it takes to turn a bus into a livable space. We're so early in our conversion that I don't feel comfortable offering solutions...even opinions for that matter. However, maintenance painting is something I do know a little about, so here goes. I feed my kids and pay my bills by working on tugboats. Tugboats are generally steel & work in saltwater. Preventative maintenance is part of the job. Most in the industry supply their paint lockers with Corroseal. As a young sailor I once was chastised & sent back to the marine supply store because I came back to the boat with a case of Ospho. "Do you want to paint the stern again next hitch or next year?"

Without question, prep is the most important phase of the paint process. Dealing with rust is paramount if you want the bus to last. There's a reason rust is sometimes referred to as cancer. Dang I hate painting boats...in fact, painting and crawling beneath the double bottoms of barges is what motivated me to get in the wheelhouse as fast as I could.

Finding a bus with little or no rust was a HUGE priority of mine. We have a tiny bit of surface rust on the inside, around the wheel wells. Nothing a wire wheel wont clean up, but I'm still going to Corroseal them. There are many instances where using the highest quality products are not as important to me, but this one is.

All of this said, be careful...all I wrote just the opinion & preference of a few sailors

tugboat.jpg
Old 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Keeping with the fishing metaphor, you just opened a can of worms.

The good news, is they're all hard-working but opinionated worms.

Lots of people on here have different preferences for which rust converter to use. There's been a few threads discussing it lately. Some people prefer the Ospho, some prefer the Coroseal, and a few people have used the Rustoleum rust converter. (The brush-on stuff, NOT the combined converter/primer in the spray can.) They all work, use the one that works for you. (Often, that's the one that's cheapest.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Skoolie

Can of worms? Seems to be a common question/topic on here, just figured I'd shared my opinion. I believe worth spending the extra cash if you don't already have a lesser grade converter on hand. In that case, yeah I'd just use what I had. They all work, some just better than others.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
Can of worms? Seems to be a common question/topic on here, just figured I'd shared my opinion. I believe worth spending the extra cash if you don't already have a lesser grade converter on hand. In that case, yeah I'd just use what I had. They all work, some just better than others.
Rust Reformer is the absolute best rust converter I've tried.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Rust Reformer is the absolute best rust converter I've tried.
Guessing this one is probably easier to find than many of the others.

It would be cool to set up a poll on here for items like this, adhesives, rivets...other consumables etc. Maybe something like that already exists & I just haven't seen it?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Guessing this one is probably easier to find than many of the others.

It would be cool to set up a poll on here for items like this, adhesives, rivets...other consumables etc. Maybe something like that already exists & I just haven't seen it?
You have to order it. Its not easy to find in the gallon and the spray can isn't the same stuff.
Its been tested against the other brands and proven to be better.https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/compa...st-converters/
Old 03-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its been tested against the other brands and proven to be better.https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/compa...st-converters/
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Scientific evidence = better than crotchety sailor opinion
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Scientific evidence = better than crotchety sailor opinion
Yep. To be fair the best performer in that test was a solution made with 10% tannic acid. But it has to be mixed and isn't a readily formulated product.
I've used Rust Reformer on some serious rust and the stuff works.
I'm also a big fan of Ospho but when the rust is serious that RR stuff is the best I've tried and its way cheaper than Por-15.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:

I meant can of worms in the sense that everyone has a different opinion on which one they prefer. It's one of those things I've seen people tend to get a little. . .not combative, but I'd say strongly opinionated about. (I'm not trying to point fingers, or suggest that it's a problem - that's the point of a forum - you get lots of opinions and perspectives.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I meant can of worms in the sense that everyone has a different opinion on which one they prefer. It's one of those things I've seen people tend to get a little. . .not combative, but I'd say strongly opinionated about. (I'm not trying to point fingers, or suggest that it's a problem - that's the point of a forum - you get lots of opinions and perspectives.)
Because there are a lot of fecophiliacs.