Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 636
Engine: 3208 Cat
Rated Cap: 37
Rusted roof on 1975 Gillig 636

I searched but did not find this topic. We have pretty heavy rusting through at the gutters and even on top. Does anyone have experience on an efficient fix? We are thinking sandblast, cut and patch but would love to hear other's experiences.

We just picked this rig up today and are hoping to learn more about this model.

This was a medical conversion done for Monterey County and is pretty well laid out.

It has the Cat 3208 as the original engine was toasted due to heater hose issues, so we are a bit anxious about all that heater hose....**Edit, it was the lower radiator hose that blew and being a pusher, it was too late by the time it read on the gauge** Any ideas on a quicker warning for engine issues?

Thanks
Michael & Dana
Petaluma

green giiligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Rusted roof on 1975 Gillig 636

other than head temp sensors, etc i dont know. a coolant flow sensor would be the thing...
my bus when i lost a heater hose did not read an increase in the water temp..only abt 2 deg rise on gauge
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
cut away rusted areas with a d/a, wirewheel surface rust away and paint all bare metal with rustolium, cut a steel patch to size, paint the patch both sides, line perimeter of hole to be patched with butyle tape, place patch over hole and drill screw holes ( use stainless steel screws only ) make sure to go all around the patch perimeter.

finish off by cleaning adjoining seams and apply butyle lapping caulk around seams and screws to weatherproof fully.

as for your other issue you could install auxillary coolant gauges or some type of "coolant level sensor " wired up to an idiot light , that way if a leak develops and coolant level drops you have an early warning before it overheats. many auto especially European have systems like this ( hint hint )
Thanks for the tip with the butyl tape. What do you think about using aluminum for patches rather than steel? My wife made thatsuggestion nad it could be good unless stress cracking is an issue. I was thinking of having sheet metal formed to mimic the gutter as the origina design (flaw) had the gutter 'j' mole under the roof panels. We will be having a ssheet metal guy take a look.

Here are a couple pix. The brow of the bus is rusted under bondo, so not too sure how to deal with that... (lots of bondo all around).
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Don't see your pics. Are you using photobucket?
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Don't see your pics. Are you using photobucket?
I tried to attach using the forum's function. Seems a little buggy along with trying to write too much... Any suggestions on posting pix? I get "Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached." note even though it is fairly small. I will review the rules...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Set up a photo bucket acct (it's free) then send me a PM and I'll e-mail a "how to" on posting pics from PB to Skoolie. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 AM   #7

Year: 1966
Engine: Cummings 8.3 diesel pusher, Allison auto trans
Roof?

Hi, I wondered what you wound up doing about your rusty roof. We are about to bring home a '66 with some rusty roof issues. Thanks!
DaBopps is offline   Reply With Quote