Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 48706
Engine: Cat3126/AD2000
Rated Cap: 28
RV Captains Chairs

Hi all. Like many of you, I’ve got a list of items that need to be purchased for the conversion, but for one reason or another, hesitate pulling the trigger. Captain’s chairs is one such item. We’re planning on installing 3 and the front 2 will be made to swivel.

What have you all put in your builds? There doesn’t seem to be a wide variety of options within the rv captain’s chair category, so I’ve been looking at tractor trailer seats, van and even automobile seats. The hope is to get a decent solution for 3 chairs at a cost of $1500 total, or less. Many rv swivel chairs cost that - per chair.

Please share what you’ve got. The more creative, the better.

Thanks,
Dusty

Dustynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We got one at an RV salvage place in MIchigan. It didn't really show any wear when we got it. I think we paid like $200. It's a co-pilot seat and it's more comfortable than the air ride seat that came with the bus. I'd say if you can find an RV salvage yard you might be able to find 3 lightly used seats for less than $1500.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We repaced the driver seat and added a navigtor seat. We placed the original air-ride seat as a third person seat. Our two front seats are air-ride with swivel. I just got done adding a foot rest feature to the navigator seat. We used Legacy Silver seats from Seats, Inc. ... purchased through our Freightliner dealer. $650.00 each is what I recall.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I pulled a rear seat (floor-mounted) captain's chair from an SUV at the local LQK.......excellent condition, for $35. And a swivel base from Factory RV Surplus for $85.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Drew Bru. I didn’t realize such places exist. I’ve never seen one here in the NYC area, but I’m gonna look for them now!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Native. I’ll check out Seats Inc. I think I’ve been to their site before, but will give them another look.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I pulled a rear seat (floor-mounted) captain's chair from an SUV at the local LQK.......excellent condition, for $35. And a swivel base from Factory RV Surplus for $85.
Dude! That’s exactly what I was thinking. I had an 07 Tahoe that the family loved. I was thinking of hunting down the pair of front seats, and second row captain’s chairs, but I’ve got so many questions:

Do you find your setup to be comfortable on long drives? I’m wondering if setting them on a pedestal, somehow makes it less comfortable.

Did you have to fabricate an adapter? Or was it a simple drill and bolt on?

Was it difficult to wire up the built-in accessories? Like heat and power controls?

There just seems to be many more options this way.

Nice job on yours!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustynyc View Post
Thanks Drew Bru. I didn’t realize such places exist. I’ve never seen one here in the NYC area, but I’m gonna look for them now!
I think you'll find many of the RV surplus/salvage places in and around the Northern Indiana region which is the RV capitol.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustynyc View Post

Do you find your setup to be comfortable on long drives? I’m wondering if setting them on a pedestal, somehow makes it less comfortable.
I've only driven it a couple of times since installation....maybe 40 miles total. The original bus seat also had a pedestal mount, and I didn't notice any difference in stability (the new pedestal actually has a wider and longer footprint). Comfort is light-years ahead.....I think I could fall asleep in this new seat.....hopefully not at 60 mph.

Quote:
Did you have to fabricate an adapter? Or was it a simple drill and bolt on?
Had to make a frame for it to sit on. Another 1" x 1" to match the one on the new pedestal, then 1" x 2" on the outsides to bolt the seat frame onto. I also added a 3/4" strip of wood at the rear to give me just a little more forward tilt.

Quote:
Was it difficult to wire up the built-in accessories? Like heat and power controls?
I'm old, and pre-date such amenities.....I purposely sought a rear seat because all the front seats had the controls you mention. I didn't want an electrical gremlin f***ing up my day.

NOTE: If you go this route....the 'Factory RV Surplus' site is confusing.......search for "Interior Parts > Captains Chair" to find their pedestals.
Attached Thumbnails
pedestal.jpg   2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Don!
Old 09-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I think you'll find many of the RV surplus/salvage places in and around the Northern Indiana region which is the RV capitol.
That makes a lot of sense, and very good to know.

Thank you!
Old 09-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Any names or contact info for any of these outlets?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Any names or contact info for any of these outlets?
Not without having to manually transcribe everything from my Google Maps. If anyone knows how to share Google Maps I'd be happy to make it public.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I find it very interesting that Elkhart IN is now considered the RV capitol of the USA.
Elkhart used to be the saxophone capitol of America. At one time there were 5 ot 6 companies making saxes in Elkhart, and some of those saxes were among the best in the world.

I'm into old saxophones. My pride and joy is a Buescher alto that was made in Elkhart in late 1940 or early 1941. I just love its very sweet tone. It's been played too much to be a pristine collectors item, and so it now has about 85 percent of its original laquer left but that's fine with me. So I am biased towards Buesher, but there were several other sax makers that have comparable reputations among classic sax lovers. King is a good example and the only one that comes to mind right now.

In the mid-1960s Buescher was bought out in a hostile takeover by Selmer, a large French musical instrument company. Within the next few years, the sax factories of Elkhart were decimated, either out of business altogether, or making second rate student instruments, which were sold under the logo of their French owners. That lasted for a while before Elkhart's sax industry disappeared.

Sorry, but I am an historian. I can't help thinking historically.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote