Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 04:21 AM   #1

Safely mounting charge controller and inverter

Aloha wondering how much space a charge controller and inverter actually need around them to safely run? Anyone mount them under a bed?

I have a 40 amp mppt and a 1500 pure sine wave inverter. Want to mount them to back of bus under or next to bed. Also can the inverter be installed vertically, and can it have its fans blowing directly onto charge controller?

Mahalo

RyanJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJames View Post
...wondering how much space a charge controller and inverter actually need around them to safely run? Anyone mount them under a bed?
Howdy Ryan! It depends on the specific equipment. Many of them include their specific requirements in the installation manual. In the case of the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, it requires vertical mounting, 6" of clear space top/bottom, and 1" clear space on the sides. My Go Power! IS-3000 inverter specifies 4" of clear space around the cooling areas but no specific orientation.

Either/Both can be installed inside. The negative of the inverter being inside is noise. Depending on the size and load, some of them can produce some pretty significant fan noise. For the 'not top of the line' ones that I have used, the fans seem to be related to load and not temperature.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote