Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That explains a lot. My father is restoring a 1967 Datsun roadster. He brought the body into a blasting shop and they used walnet shells. Now I know it was because the metal was too thin to handle anything more abrasive.
that's quite possible

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

back in the summer of 1980 I was offered a job as sand blast foreman at a tanker farm in Kuwait - the money was great - plenty to send home to my family, and a substantial balance paid into a Swiss bank account - accommodations in a gated community where no one bothered if you had a drink - times were tight at home, money was scarce, but as much as I hated the idea of leaving my family behind, I was seriously considering accepting the job - the next thing that happened was either Iran attacked Iraq, or it was the other way around, but what ever it was, it was two well armed very angry large nations with the postage stamp sized nation of Kuwait squeezed between them, with bombs and rockets passing over head - at least that what I thought could happen - I don't know what happened first, my decision to turn down the job, or the job disappeared - the owners of the sandblasting company decided it was too risky to work there about the same time I came to the same conclusion
Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
back in the summer of 1980 I was offered a job as sand blast foreman at a tanker farm in Kuwait - the money was great - plenty to send home to my family, and a substantial balance paid into a Swiss bank account - accommodations in a gated community where no one bothered if you had a drink - times were tight at home, money was scarce, but as much as I hated the idea of leaving my family behind, I was seriously considering accepting the job - the next thing that happened was either Iran attacked Iraq, or it was the other way around, but what ever it was, it was two well armed very angry large nations with the postage sized nation of Kuwait squeezed between them, with bombs and rockets passing over head - at least that what I thought could happen - I don't know what happened first, my decision to turn down the job, or the job disappeared - the owners of the sandblasting company decided it was too risky to work there about the same time I came to the same conclusion
Wow, I'd call that a little serendipity at work!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Wow, I'd call that a little serendipity at work!

a less exciting story to tell my grand and great grand kids than if I could say, 'I could hear the rockets and jet planes flying low overhead over the noise of the giant compressors and the sound of sand bouncing off the steel inside the empty oil tanks - pretty lame story the way it stands - lol
Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Walnut shells are great and don’t eat solid metal. Once you sandblast you HAVE TO spray with Primer ASAP! Or it will rust within hours.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
back in the summer of 1980 I was offered a job as sand blast foreman at a tanker farm in Kuwait - the money was great - plenty to send home to my family, and a substantial balance paid into a Swiss bank account - accommodations in a gated community where no one bothered if you had a drink - times were tight at home, money was scarce, but as much as I hated the idea of leaving my family behind, I was seriously considering accepting the job - the next thing that happened was either Iran attacked Iraq, or it was the other way around, but what ever it was, it was two well armed very angry large nations with the postage stamp sized nation of Kuwait squeezed between them, with bombs and rockets passing over head - at least that what I thought could happen - I don't know what happened first, my decision to turn down the job, or the job disappeared - the owners of the sandblasting company decided it was too risky to work there about the same time I came to the same conclusion
I had a similar opportunity when I lived in Lake Tahoe in the 70's. Got an offer to build condos in Hawaii. Pay was good and they paid you time and a half for your whole time if you stayed more than 6 months. Sounded like a great deal till you find out why they are having trouble filling positions. Well is seems the Hawaiian natives didn't want us Haole Boys messing up their beautiful islands with more condos and were attacking the workers at every chance. I didn't go. I also at the same time could have been an extra in the Godfather movie. I had really long hair in 75 and would have had to cut it off. Who knew that movie would be so big?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I had a similar opportunity when I lived in Lake Tahoe in the 70's. Got an offer to build condos in Hawaii. Pay was good and they paid you time and a half for your whole time if you stayed more than 6 months. Sounded like a great deal till you find out why they are having trouble filling positions. Well is seems the Hawaiian natives didn't want us Haole Boys messing up their beautiful islands with more condos and were attacking the workers at every chance. I didn't go. I also at the same time could have been an extra in the Godfather movie. I had really long hair in 75 and would have had to cut it off. Who knew that movie would be so big?
unlike now I didn't let my hair get below my collar back then - long hair and large airless spray painters don't go too well together - doesn't matter if I let my hair grow now, I'm old enough that no one makes comments - lol
Old 05-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Abrasive media blasting skills and equipment are quite handy to have here in the upper Midwest where bad rust is just a fact of life. Much time and resources wasted trying to stay ahead of it. Going to have to move one of these days to somewhere where that isn't the case.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
unlike now I didn't let my hair get below my collar back then - long hair and large airless spray painters don't go too well together - doesn't matter if I let my hair grow now, I'm old enough that no one makes comments - lol
I had hair to my belt when I started skydiving, that was fun. I decided since my hair dresser of 30 years retired that I'm never cutting my hair again.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grit, rust removal, sandblasting, undercarriage