Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

School Buses in Arizona

Saw this article in my local online newspaper. It's an article in four parts about school buses in Arizona. I thought it would give some perspective on school bus usage, safety, maintenence and comparisons between AZ and other states.
School bus inspections: How we did the story

Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

What a great article!

Like CA, WA has had very low failure rates. This is partly due to the fact the Washington State Patrol sees every bus at least once a year and 60% of the buses twice a year.

A school district that has less than 100% passing inspection rate tends to get on the radar of the WSP very quickly. Once you are on the radar they will be spending a lot more time in your bus garage inspecting everything.

But probably the greatest factor in low failure rates is the age of the bus inventory. Some years ago the State kicked in a bunch of extra $$$ to get every pre-1977 bus off the road. Since then they have shortened up the depreciation schedule from a high of as much as 25-years down to 13-years. As a consequence there are very few buses left in service in WA that are much more than 15-years old. At 13-years old most of the buses have less than 130,000 miles. With today's engines and transmissions if you can't get a bus to go 13-years you need to go into another line of work. Even tires and brakes are lasting longer with the greater availability of auxiliary braking systems.

The article didn't seem to be a hit piece so much as someone raising a warning flag about the potential disaster that is waiting to happen unless the age of the buses and quality of repairs isn't addressed.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know people here dont like Ohio busses because the possibilities of rust, however from what ive seen in person living in ohio a long time and also heard about the inspectors is that Ohio Busses have to meet some pretty stringent inspections..

I know first student had a lot of troubles in ohio.. Columbus Kicked them out because of many failed inspections... Busses in ohio from what I understand also have to be physically inspected every year..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote