Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Schoolie Conversion Timeline Estimate Please

I have read the following thread http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/sko...ies-20932.html and found some good stuff in it but I didn't really see where anyone kept close track of time.

I am wondering if a build timeline of January to June working 3 evenings a week and one full day a weekend will get it. Basically putting in about 20 hours a week. That is 5 months lets say 4 weeks a month that is 400 hours roughly. We also have a spring break that I can work full time to get as much done as possible.

We are both teachers and I am a football official. I plan on starting the build after Football season. We want to involve our kids as much as possible so that will slow things down.

Has anyone kept track of hours on their build?

We are planning on having a raised queen bed in the back with storage underneath. Two twin size beds (probably shorter than a full twin length) for our kids with storage underneath. A small bathroom with composting toilet. Small kitchen with single sink and induction hot plate. Also with a couch folding into a bed for guests across from the kitchen. Lastly I would like to keep the first row of the original bus seats for driving on the road safely.

If there is time before summer I would like to put in a fresh and gray water tank, storage under the bus, and solar power, but that can wait until after our summer trip.

Someone tell me this is doable. I am a fairly decent handyman, I have built a couch, a raised bed with storage, bookshelves, a desk and various other things for the house. I don't think the build will be too difficult.

CoachKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

A six month build? I'd say it depends on size and condition of the bus and what you got with it that's already done. Also how much outside work you're willing to pay for. Also be advised plumbing and water and waste takes time to plan out so all systems are placed where they're usable.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm limping around all the time And at one day a week it took four months just to get seats out. I had other problems that kept me from working on it.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
It took me 11 months 40-50 hrs per week. You can check my build thread to see what got done to the bus.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Took me 4 years - it was as fast as i could afford it
Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
yes you can,but

Every thing takes longer than you think it will.

to do this, you will have to live, eat, sleep, and drink schoolie.

In addition to every thing that is normal to do... then add in the bus work. unless you totally can drop everything else. How much extra time did you have before this?

think about it.

every day you must put in an hour of work. minimum

if you can stay focused and keep others focused too......

good luck

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Depends on the complexity of the build really and how to get and stay organised as far as material.
Don't even think about it until your bus checks out mechanically and electrically. You need to know those things are good or will do a lot of work for nothing.

I'm handy, have made changes and redone things after much time spent building them. Better ideas tend to come as you get into it.
5 years for me building and just getting painted now. Inside is about 80% if that. Unexpected medical issues slowed me down 2 eye surgeries and now 2 shoulder operations needed so going slow but better than stopped I guess.

Wish you luck but be prepared for the unexpected problems if you don't plan it right. Helps to have storage for tools and materials because you are always needing to know where things get put after not using them for a period of time. Or maybe that is just me but I am forever needing a tool I just saw recently but where is it now.lol
All you can do is try and give it your best but cancel everything else important in your life to do this quickly.

Good luck,

John
Old 07-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm about 3 yrs behind on my 2 yr build
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Always add more time, there's a learning curve your not anticipating.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Come August will be seven years. But then...(see avatar).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Biggest hold up for me is no shore power. So I'm on hold until I get a plan up extract the well pump and build a pump house where I hope to add the breaker box and power and water connections. Right now one day a week clearing saplings and small trees and removing debris. Also had to tow the wrecked pickup out here to store it until I settle on this accident. We're suing cause they denied the claim. Plus adjuster flat out lied to me on the phone. 5 months after the accident and you don't have copy of the accident report? Ok tell me the one about those 3 porridge stealers and that blonde!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Who the hell knows? Today I spent five hours and three trips to two auto parts stores to change my turn signal bulb.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i-...bus-12296.html
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Engine: DTA360
I’m four months in and have a good bit done. About to start framing.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Also be advised plumbing and water and waste takes time to plan out so all systems are placed where they're usable.
Yes, I am sure that is going to take the longest for me. Since we have a long run up (December or January for Bus purchase) we are doing as much preplanning as possible. Ultimately we are only planning on fresh water and gray water for the kitchen sink and the shower. We will be using a composting toilet so no need for black tank.

Electrical is what I am really concerned about. How do I plan on what wires to run and where. We would love solar, but maybe not before summer. Do I prewire in anticipation of a 24v and 110v system? Or do I just redo it all at a later date?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

to do this, you will have to live, eat, sleep, and drink schoolie.

In addition to every thing that is normal to do... then add in the bus work. unless you totally can drop everything else. How much extra time did you have before this?

if you can stay focused and keep others focused too......

good luck

william
Great advice.

I teach and will get home at about 4 nearly everyday. So I anticipate an average of 3 days a week to actually work on the bus. Yes I will be eat sleep and dream about the bus.

Also once football season is done I am going to take a break from that. That will free up a lot of time.

But I do have a lot of things around the house to do as well. I have to really hammer those out until December when we get the bus.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty1 View Post
I’m four months in and have a good bit done. About to start framing.
Thank you for the update. Do you have a build thread started, I would like to follow.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Engine: DTA360
Schoolie Conversion Timeline Estimate Please

I sure do

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/19...ion-21657.html

I should note that I’ve been working about 15-20 hours a week. (Minus three weeks vacation)
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Reading this reminds me of what my loving wife calls "Jeep-Time". See as a Jeeper I'm always under estimating time. She found that if I say it will take 4 hours times it by 4. That said.

We'll be buying our Skoolie in the next 4-6 weeks. Do to alot of things I have a window of 12-14 months that it has to go from School to Kool and living in it.

I'll have about 8 hours a day to work on it and 32 hours every weekend. And I'll also have helpers from time to time. What we are doing now is planing out our electrical systems, water, waste, fuel sources, storage, ect. All now on paper.

Example: we are planning 1200 Watts solar, 400-800watts wind (Setup when in place), 6000 AH battery bank, 4000 Watt Aims Inverter/charger, a 48 to 12 volt converter (Yes we're building our system around 48 volts).

That's just one example of our planned systems. And this is all ahead of even having our Bus.

I'm no noobie to rushed builds. I did a Jeep Cherokee once from body to complete and driving in 36 hours. And I know that I will hit snags on our Skoolie build.

Be flexible on your time and work at a pace you can handle.
navonifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrlot View Post
Who the hell knows? Today I spent five hours and three trips to two auto parts stores to change my turn signal bulb.
HA!! I feel your pain!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
my first bus took me six weeks to get livable and hit the road.

To accomplish that I had to hire several helpers & tradesman. I probably spent $10k plus on labor.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote