Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Re: Screaming Noise of Death: air brake issue?

Sounds like a turbo hose split. Check on top of the engine and you should see a very large hose. Not sure of the size. Could be almost 4". I believe there is a plastic angle piece that is known to split on those.

You are hearing a very loud "whistling" from the leaking turbo hose. It would not be air brake related. Air compressors on those are usually mechanical and belt driven.

Good luck
Dan

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I highly doubt the noise is air brake related. The compressor is unloaded, just the same as say an AC compressor is, until it is needed. In the case of an AC compressor a clutch is used to disengage the engine from the drive belt. With an air compressor the "uncoupling" is done via an unloader valve (there are many different types) which shuts off air flow to the tanks and removes load from the compressor, typically by allowing the two cylinders of a twin compressor to pump back and forth, or by keeping the exhaust port of the compressor closed so that most of the energy used to compress the air is returned to the system by the expansion of it within the cylinder, not dissimilar to the system GM uses to reduce pumping losses on their displacement on demand systems.

Now...that's not to say it might not be a compressor, but it would have to be loaded and you'd be able to replicate that at a standstill and you probably wouldn't always get the noise while moving.

Please don't be offended by this statement, but I think you're probably a little fuzzy on the mechanics of air brakes. It's an incredibly simple system, but it's important to know how it works before operating the vehicle so please pick up a CDL manual from the DMV as it will have a fantastic air brake section in it. Heck, wikipedia and howstuffworks are also great places to look.

Now then...back to the noise. Your description is really throwing me. I just can't fathom what that would be. Is it engine speed or road speed dependent? Easing off the gas, unfortunately, reduces both, as well as load. Take the bus up to the point that it makes the noise (I'm assuming it must start below say 45-50mph?). Shift the bus into neutral. Your road speed will be consistent, as will driveshaft speed (for the most part...don't do it uphill), but your engine speed will drop off to idle. Does the sound change? If it does, you can verify that it is a speed/load related noise by downshifting from 4th to 3rd (make sure 3rd gear will not overspeed the engine) and see if the intensity changes (it should get louder or higher in frequency).

I think it's probably turbocharger related like a blown off or leaking boost hose. You can't replicated it at a standstill because (as an engineer should know) turbos work off heat in the exhaust and you just can't get higher EGT's without a load on the engine.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I agree that it does sound like a turbo issue, if your bus is so equipped. A bad or ruptured hose may do that, and also the turbo itself can do similar sounds. I've seen the turbo casings cracked, holes in them etc... sometimes the impellers inside get broken too. I'd keep looking at the turbo system. You say the previous owner did some work on this bus, he may have not tightened the turbo or put a bad gasket in there?

Air brake system as pointed out above is not under load just because the engine is racing along, though the mechanical compressor is likely producing a lot more air than at idle. It'll continue to add air to the system, and the purge valve will blow off excess air periodically to prevent the system from gaining too much pressure and blowing a hole in a tank or hose.

If you had an air leak and the system was loosing air, your gauge would indicate a sharp drop, an alarm should sound, and the mechanical spring brake would automatically apply and slow the bus until it stops moving.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm glad it was something simple. Please please please read up on air brakes before you go out so you safely operate the system and make sure it is working correctly.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Please please please read up on air brakes before you go out . . . . . . .
Amen.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote