Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: MetroTrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 30
Sealed compartment for generator

I am building a raised platform in the back of our shuttle bus for a queen bed. I have a door that would allow access to under the bed from outside.

I would like to figure out a safe way to seal off a section of this raised storage area for a honda generator that would be accessed from the outside only. I would install vents in the door for air intake and extended the exhaust overboard. I would also be sure to have a CO detector on the bus.

How would you go about build such a box? I was thinking marine grade plywood. Caulked at the seams. Foam board insulation with a reflective surface to deflect heat away from buses interior. But this all seems to simple.

Any ideas??

Yes, I am crazy.
dadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
If I was doing it, I would fab up a box out of sheet metal with welded seams and then insulate it on the interior of the bus (exterior of genny box) and a maybe some sort of dynamat on the inside of the box.

Maybe have some sort of mounting plate attached to heavy springs to isolate the vibrations of the genny too...

I would just feel more comfortable with the genny humming away in a welded steel box rather than caulked wood. Especially if my kid was going to be sleeping in there.

But that's just me... I tend to overthink stuff like this though.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I definitely 2nd metal.. if anything went wrong and something caught on fire youd have a fighting chance of getting it out before much damage occured in a metal box but in wood it would spread very quickly..

definitely make sure its vented.. even when not in use it can produce gas fumes that could be explosive..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: MetroTrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
I would fab up a box out of sheet metal with welded seams and then insulate it on the interior of the bus (exterior of genny box) and a maybe some sort of dynamat on the inside of the box.

Maybe have some sort of mounting plate attached to heavy springs to isolate the vibrations of the genny too...
I was thinking of some sort of sheet metal box. I don't think it's over thought at all. It is only going to be a little honda generator, so springs might be overkill and I would like to pull it out if I needed to.

Keep the ideas coming

Yes, I am crazy.
dadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
look into computer rack slide rails.. office surplus liquidation houses often have a bunch of them. they are designed to take quite a bit of weight, you could mount the generator on a moveable slide to get it in and out that way..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a Champion 3500W generator, probably heavier than what you have in mind for yours, and I mounted it on IBM rack-mount server slides. Actually they're Accuride 3307-28 slides, and they work just fine for the generator's 100 lb weight, even at full extension. To handle the exhaust when the gen is slid all the way out, I used a short length of 1" CSST stainless flexible gas pipe (with its plastic sheathing taken off!) from the muffler to a 1" galvanized pipe that slides inside a length of stainless tube which is the exhaust pipe that exits near the driver's-side front wheel. The whole telescoping exhaust slopes down so water cannot accumulate inside it and rust it internally. So far, so good.

I also mounted the gen on some extra rubber shock-absorbing blocks - these make a big difference to the low-frequency drumming vibration, but obviously they don't do anything for the higher-frequency noises and mechanical clatter.

One significant difference however: I only use my generator when parked, never while under way. If you plan on using a non-RV type of air-cooled generator while moving, you really need to think about ventilation and where the exhaust will go. You could have carbon monoxide being drawn back inside the bus because of the natural airflow inside from rear to front as you drive. Use CO and CO2 detectors, and be very careful.

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Under body truck box maybe

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Even a little Honda genny if(?) bolted solid or just sitting on metal could/will transfer vibration.
There are many options.
Research vibration isolation
And if you want to go the electric start route then you could add a relay that starts an intake air fan(regardless of size) into the box for fresh air for the genny in a truly sealed box.
Either way a genny in a box needs specific air intake requirements and most gennys are not made to be in a box unless they are vented can breath properly in and out.
Consulte the manufacturer for the specific requirements of what you would like to buy and discuss it with them before the actual purchase.
There are ways around things? Like I am going to adapt a car muffler to my old craftsman genny for sound and still keep it on a slide out UniStrut frame to be able work on it when needed.
If you don't know UniStrut then look up UniStrut system by HILTI and then go to your local electrical/mechanical(hvac) supplier and ask for there Erico/Hilti book?
Most likely you get Erico at an electric supply.
I ain't a salesman for anything but I am sold on Uni-strut in my commercial construction world.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Metal truck bed tool box, or metal cabinet?

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If you can find a copy, Dave Galey's "Bus Converters Bible" has a great write up on generator box design & construction.

I sold my copy at my garage sale last summer for 50 cents...........
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If you can find a copy, Dave Galey's "Bus Converters Bible" has a great write up on generator box design & construction.

I sold my copy at my garage sale last summer for 50 cents...........
Just did a search for Dave Galey's "Bus Converters Bible" 200.00+ wow

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Just did a search for Dave Galey's "Bus Converters Bible" 200.00+ wow

I think I am going to shoot myself...... Oh wait... I allready shot myself in the foot... 50 cents......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sk...ys-5325-7.html heres my set up generator has remote start
gbstewart
Old 02-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I went with the steel drawer plan. I used 1" thick solid rubber "horse stall" mats to damp out the low frequency generator noise. I also positioned the entire genny case on 6 engine valve springs to damp out any vibration missed by the rubber mounts that support the genny engine and head inside the case. Like gb, I have a remote start/stop system. I used two fans for cooling the genny, one that runs when the genny runs and the second that cycles on and off when the air temp in the box reaches 140 degrees F. Both fans exhaust through the propane heater exhaust duct. Redundant though it may be, I installed a pair of 184 degree F thermostatic switches at the base of the engine cylinder that shut the genny down if that temp is reached. Similarly, if the constant running fan fails the generator shuts down. Either of these events also cut the power to the electric fuel pump. I removed the muffler to a remote location outside of the genny drawer in an effort to reduce the temp in the drawer. I only use the genny when my bus is parked and we never sleep with the genny running. I suppose I should mention that the genny is a 3000 watt Yamaha 53 dB inverter model.

The following link shows a few pics of the genny installation. The pics start about 1/4 of a page down. Jack

https://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.ph...=2658&start=30
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #15
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Wowsa.

Found free version online ?
http://www.busnut.com/conv101.html