Old 12-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Bus Geek
Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Sealing the Roof

I used Snow Roof's Elastometric on the Class C (roof coating, "tape"& primer) works wonders and no more leaks on the roof. Lowered the summer temps quite a bit. Down side is I have a "dip" towards the rear and Snow Roof doesn't like standing water (ponding is what they call it). So if you have a flat roof, you need to watch for that. I did the roof in 2006 or 2007 and had to have the primer ordered in.

For the skoolie (rounded roof, no standing water) we used Henry's Solar-flex from Home Depot. I used the "tape" I had left over from doing the Class C and embedded it into the Henry's to seal leaks. Then put two coats of roof coating on the roof. Really needed three coats but it was too hot. Henry's makes a clear elastometric caulk that you can use to seal leaks with (I have bought several tubes at Home Depot. Apply on WET or dry surfaces. The large 4.75 gallon bucket will cover a 40 ft bus with 3 coats. I used a paint roller.
This post is my opinion. It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Fulltime since 2006
The goal of life is living in agreement with nature. Zeno (335BC-264BC)
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Almost There
Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester
Re: Sealing the Roof

I used an elastomeric roof coating I picked up from Lowes on the metal roof of an old shed on our property. The thing had been leaking for years before we even bought the land. Two 5 gallon pails covered the carport sized roof with several coats. I did notice a difference during the summer while I was working out there after the coating was applied. It also saved me from having to replace what was otherwise a decent roof. I am planning on doing the same thing with my bus when I paint it next spring.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote