Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Seat and ceiling removal— now what?!

I spent the summer beginning demolition on my 1997’ Thomas International school bus. We have finished removing all of the school bus seats, ceiling, some lighting, heater, and most of the tubing connected to it. I’m thinking next steps should be floor and wall removal. I’m not quite sure which to start with or if it really even matters? One thought I have is that maybe it would be smartest to remove the floor first then the walls since the windows will need to be removed at this point as well?! I’ve also read that it’s really important to leave the lowest panels of the wall in place since they are what hold together the bottom frame to the top of the bus? I’m also thinking I should remove all insulation during next steps and maybe contact an electrician during this time as well??

I’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions and tips/tricks for these next steps. Thank you in advance!!

AKTrainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTrainum View Post
I spent the summer beginning demolition on my 1997’ Thomas International school bus. We have finished removing all of the school bus seats, ceiling, some lighting, heater, and most of the tubing connected to it. I’m thinking next steps should be floor and wall removal. I’m not quite sure which to start with or if it really even matters? One thought I have is that maybe it would be smartest to remove the floor first then the walls since the windows will need to be removed at this point as well?! I’ve also read that it’s really important to leave the lowest panels of the wall in place since they are what hold together the bottom frame to the top of the bus? I’m also thinking I should remove all insulation during next steps and maybe contact an electrician during this time as well??

I’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions and tips/tricks for these next steps. Thank you in advance!!
It would help to know what kind of bus you have. Click on the "User CP" link up at the top to edit your details (like bus make and model, where you are etc.).
Old 09-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
First off is water leaks. If the bus is naked inside then wait for a heavy rainstorm and hang out in the bus and look for water leaks. These will destroy the interior work. If you have gutted bus then now is the time to run any wiring or plumbing you have planned out. Not planned out? Well you have to now. After you have all the 12V and/or 110v wiring run and maybe some plumbing, then you can spray foam the interior of the bus because if you stripped it bare, then do the insulation right.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote