Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Seats and Seatbelts

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on seating and would like to bounce some ideas off the group. I want to be able to carry and sleep a total of 8. I plan 4 permenant bunks/beds and a convertable dinette and bunk area for 4 guests.

The dinette will be fairly conventional on the outside, but I plan to build it around two of the original bus seats with all of the padding and plywood removed. The reason is that this bus came with seatbelts so this will give me seatbelt attachment points that are essentially the same as originally manufactured. Anyone done anything like this?

For the second seating area in the kids room, I plan on cutting the backs off of two seats and then attaching the bucket seats from a 1990 Olds Silhouette. Again, has anyone used original bus seat frame to attach car seats in their bus?

Thanks!

Jake.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

seatbelts?? Who had seatbelts in their bus when it was new? (besides the drivers seat)

Who was seat belts in their skoolie now?

My bus didn't come with seatbelts, except for the driver.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
I removed 75 lbs. of seatbelts from mine this past weekend! They were all pretty nasty so they will be replaced with new ones. MA has a mandatory seatbelt law - I believe it's secondary enforcement (meaning they can't stop you for it alone) for no seatbelts on an adult, and primary enforcement for under 14.

Jake.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Grr seatbelt laws, Oregon is the same way. The state loves to make decisions for us and take our money if we don't agree. I just find it ironic that when a bus is a school bus seatbelts are not required but when you convert it to an RV that children may never ride in you have to have them. Oh well done with my rant. The good news is I am moving out of Oregon in a few days.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

in michigan you can be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt if you're in the front seat. If you're behind the driver and an adult you don't need to wear a seatbelt.