Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
securing a roof deck

Today Mom and I finished securing the frame of the roof deck to the bus. But after pre-drilling the holes and installing the screws, I'm having second thoughts about the strength of the ties we are using. Or, more accurately, I'm concerned with the strength of the roofing metal that the screws are going through to hold the ties.

I think I hit the ribs of the bus. But the drill bit went through the metal mighty easily. Maybe that's typical and I'm being too paranoid?

There are 5 of these brackets per side. Each bracket was roughly centered between the double row of rivets, or was put in-line or just off to one side of a single row of rivets (depending on if the rivet would interfere with the bracket).

Do you guys think this will be enough for a 6' x 16' deck? That's an awful lot of weight placed on 20 screws.

My next step was to drill completely through the roof and install one of those huge 10" braces on both of the length-wise ribs to give me peace of mind about the deck staying in one place. But that's putting more potential leak points in the roof. I'd rather avoid that.

Any advice?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: securing a roof deck

Since you asked.... in the name of safety, I'm going to vote NO on the roof deck. Your attachment method is not going to be what you want to go with.
Unfortunately I do not have any good suggestions for you. I am still in the very early stages of planning out our own roof deck.

I'm sure some others with more experience than I will be along shortly.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

i replied to the other post of yours. it should be bolted as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Hmmmm... yeah, that looks kinda sketchy to me. I've thought about roof racks a bit as well, and I'm planning on doing a combination of bolts and welding. I would not feel comfortable using only screws. I'll confess that I recently had a roof rack blow off the top of my bus on the highway. It was one of those things that just clamps on to the rain gutter. I felt REALLY bad and was thankful that nobody was behind me - but that could easily have taken somebody out.

So in the interest of public safety, I advise you to rethink your attachment method.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Tyger,
Over the past few years I have had to tighten and go to some bigger screws as the tourque of the bus body loosens them up. If you decided to go this route, check them frequently for tightness.

BC
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

My concern would be the suspicion that the pull-out strength of sheet metal screws is not as good as the shear strength. Maybe there are engineering websites that address this. I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Thanks guys for all the input. I did go back and put larger brackets on the front and back that bolted completely through the bus on the long roof ribs. I'll post pics on the build thread.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Not sure how your welding skills are but welding the brackets and or perameter metal in place. When you weld big metal to small sheet metal can be very tricky and burn trhoughs happen.

Just food for thought.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #9

I built a mondo roof rack on an old Newell bus from the materials used for temporary canopies; footpads, T's, etc. and 1&3/8" rails of chainlink fencing. This could well serve as a base for decking material...
carloschoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

buying the corner and end pieces from the temp canopy is far easier than getting the tubing cutter and making a jig up to make your own...and they are quite strong.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360

It sounds like you've got a solution in place, but if you haven't figured this out yet, the ribs are actually shaped like a U with little wings coming off the top. It's not tube, which is why drilling through the middle was so easy, as you didn't actually go through the rib, just the sheet metal.
icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnivad
It sounds like you've got a solution in place, but if you haven't figured this out yet, the ribs are actually shaped like a U with little wings coming off the top. It's not tube, which is why drilling through the middle was so easy, as you didn't actually go through the rib, just the sheet metal.
That's what I was afraid of, so there are now two 10" L-brackets on the front and two on the back that are bolted all the way through the bus on the longitudinal roof support. If that sucker comes off now, it means the whole roof has peeled off and I'm either doing a "Thelma & Louise" off the road, or am going the extreme route of flying to OZ.