Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC 3500
Engine: 6.5 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
short bus flashing lights - but not the good kind

I'm currently driving a 95' GMC 3500 Cutaway van with a Thomas 16 passenger body that I bought about a month ago.

I have a couple of questions about the lighting.

First question: After the lights are on for about 15 to 20 minutes they will randomly start to cutout or flash whether I'm driving or parked. They don't go out for long, it is just a blip and they are back on for a 4 or 5 seconds and then blip. If I shut the lights off for a couple of minutes and turn them back on they will work again for about 15 to 20 minutes before they start up again.
Does this sound like a circuit breaker? or a short? any other ideas?

Second question: The clear exterior light over the bifold passenger comes on with the interior lights and with the running lights. Is it supposed to be on when you are driving around with the running lights on?

Thanks.
snonbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff
Re: short bus flashing lights - but not the good kind

i dont think the interior light should be on. probably wired to wrong light or the driving lights was aftermarket and hooked up wrong and is feeding back.

as for other lights.. i think its a relay problem

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford F600
Engine: 370

could possibly be the headlight switch itself if yours is set up that way. Mine has a switch in the dash just like a car or truck would. My old trucks would flash and it was the switch heating up and causing the problem. Installed new switch and it was fine!!! Also my bus when lights are on the light in the stair way and above the door light up. I diconnnected the one above the door but left the stair light hooked up so when lights are on it is also.
moerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the tips.

I think I've found my light issues.

The first problem I found was that the ground wire to the Dash Headlamp switch was not hooked up. After reconnecting it the exterior lamp worked as it should.

I took it for a test drive hoping this was also causing my blinking light issue but after about 30 mins. it started acting up again. I took some time to play around with the light switch when I got home. With the headlamp switch hanging loose, but hooked up, if I held it at a certian angle the lights would work fine. If I rotated the switch with my hand and/or moved the wiring by the switch it acted up again. If I moved it back to the same spot it would work fine every time.

Here is a pic of the headlamp switch connection.

As you can see there are some issues there. The headlight and taillight wires are spliced together(not sure why?).
On the upper right corner you can see a bare wire. It is for the taillights and is live when the switch is on. The insulation is melted off it for about 6-8". That is the same terminal that is melted on the connector as well. It doesn't look recent so I will redo the wiring and see what happens.
Hope that does it.

As far as the bus. 95' GMC with Thomas body.

Here it is after the 2 1/2" hour drive home:

After getting it retitled and inspection by state patrol.

I have been driving a 96' suburban for years and love it but was looking for something with a little more cargo room. Originally going to go with a cargo van but I saw this on Cl and thought it would work pretty well to haul stuff/people. I ended up leaving half the seats in so it is titled as a car.

Been looking through all the great posts & pic's on the site... Trying hard to fight off the big bus bug....
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

The insulation displacement splice nearest the connector is bad news even if it is brand new - and the cover isn't even latched shut!
Replace those whenever you find them. Don't ever use them on purpose for anything.

From the first description I had thought it would be a circuit breaker. Self-resetting breakers for critical loads like headlights and wipers are thermal acting. The current runs through them and heats them up. They open (disconnect) when they get overly hot, and reconnect once they cool down. Splicing the taillights into the headlight circuit might just be enough of an added load to make the headlight breaker shut off during extended use.

But the melted wiring and the jiggling of the switch points to a bad connection or worn-out switch as was previously mentioned. Make it right, or get a couple of heavy-duty toggle switches, and wire the headlights and taillights separately to them. You don't want a fire in your bus. I have seen a vehicle interior burned out from a bad headlight switch. (The highway superintendent tried to blame it on the radio install, so the town wouldn't have to pay for the repair, but the town mechanics agreed with my inspection that the fire was caused by the headlight switch.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

After spending some time with a multimeter I ended up replacing the headlamp switch with a new one and cleaning up and seperating the wiring back to it's own circuits. Now all the lights come on as and when they should.

it looks like the previous owner tried to correct for the bad switch by rewiring the connector to make it work.

Thanks again