Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
If you buy a short bus based on a medium truck chassis, the only issue you will have is low engine power and transmission overheating, on an extended van based bus you may have structual issues and a much weaker transmission

Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I see the exporters down here driving hundreds of miles in hot summer heat with a Bus, towing an exact same bus behind it and they dont seem to break down...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #23
Skoolie

Hmm..drive a bus and tow one - then send both to mexico. Who cares if you took 30% off the towing bus' lifespan?

The 01 expedition we bought, from the original owner, at 220k miles had the original trans, and it was working perfectly. After about 200 miles of towing 6500lb trailer it began to slip. had we not stressed it i'm sure it wouldn't have had any issues.
And i'm sure if they previous owner towed with it (it was a lot of hiway miles he said, taking his son to hockey tournaments) it would have had a trans much earlier.

heat is the enemy of course. Nice thing about the big buses is they come with guages for everything, unlike cars! Tho my subaru has a trans temp warning light- not sure i've ever seen that on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I see the exporters down here driving hundreds of miles in hot summer heat with a Bus, towing an exact same bus behind it and they dont seem to break down...

-Christopher
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Leadsled01, what kind of mpg do you get with your 5.4? I'm lookng at E series buses, and trying to find actual user figures.
Thanks
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Leadsled01, what kind of mpg do you get with your 5.4? I'm lookng at E series buses, and trying to find actual user figures.
Thanks
Not real sure. Odometer is broke. I would guess 11-15 towing a 20' enclosed with 2 side by sides and dirtbike and gear and camping stuff.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
Hmm..drive a bus and tow one - then send both to mexico. Who cares if you took 30% off the towing bus' lifespan?

The 01 expedition we bought, from the original owner, at 220k miles had the original trans, and it was working perfectly. After about 200 miles of towing 6500lb trailer it began to slip. had we not stressed it i'm sure it wouldn't have had any issues.
And i'm sure if they previous owner towed with it (it was a lot of hiway miles he said, taking his son to hockey tournaments) it would have had a trans much earlier.

heat is the enemy of course. Nice thing about the big buses is they come with guages for everything, unlike cars! Tho my subaru has a trans temp warning light- not sure i've ever seen that on a car.
the Chevy Pickup I have now has a Trans temo gauge on the little color display inside the dash. ny older chevy pickup had a physical trans temp gauge.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #27

Do you have trailer brakes on yours? If so, did you hook it up or was it already there? I am doing a conversion on mine and looking for info
mjb8fj is offline   Reply With Quote