Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Almost There

Short vs. Loooong bus?

Can't pull the trigger on either a long bus (40ft) or a shorter one like a 27 passenger (28ft) bus.

Other than the shorter turning radius of a shorter bus, would any of you guys that have a 72 passenger bus wish it was 12 foot shorter? Or do you like having the extra length (no pun there )?

Just trying to decide, and would love the pros/cons.

Thanks!

CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Spent 20 yrs in a 40 inch sleeper, bigger is always better.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

I like the short just because is legal to park anywhere since is 21.5F long and easier to drive in small towns although I haven't lived in one yet.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepito View Post
I like the short just because is legal to park anywhere since is 21.5F long and easier to drive in small towns although I haven't lived in one yet.
A house is always hard to park.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Depends what you're doing with your bus I suppose. Yea, the shorter bus would be better parking a traveling in cities. But, with a long bus you could have a toad, motorcycles/scooters to get around in.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
I went with a short bus as I intend to use it for weekend maybe week long trips, if I were going to fulltime I would go full size.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Wife and I have a 40' Thomas. We'll be full-timing in her once she's finished to the point we can move in. We figure there's about 320 square feet of living space (more or less - probably a bit less) and an additional 160 square feet of cargo room in the bays below the floorboards. The cargo bays will house water storage, a Webasto, a genset or two, and other assorted equipment required to full-time. We are selling our 30' Ford B600 to a good friend. We found the B600 was waaaaaaaaay too small for our needs. Lesson learned the hard way the first go-around.

I've driven the vast majority of my 2.2 million miles in 18 wheelers, so size is irrelevant to me. The larger the vehicle, the happier I am.

The larger build room allows us to have luxury items like a full-sized refrigerator, full-sized pantry, washer, dryer, full-sized shower, large closets, a king size bed, a big dinette, a full-sized galley, and many other creature comforts smaller buses cannot accommodate. She'll be comfortable, a bit cozy, but she'll be paid for, and all ours.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I'd love to have another 10'
Old 08-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I guess in a way, you can't really see what you're driving behind you, unless you're turning. Which is easy after a few times?
x225x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by x225x View Post
I guess in a way, you can't really see what you're driving behind you, unless you're turning. Which is easy after a few times?
If you anticipate your swing room, i.e. take a larger part of the road to make your turn, the bus will clear corners without an issue. It's easier to demonstrate than type on a keyboard to explain - well at least for me, I'm a visual and learn-by-practice person.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if i were full-timing I would want a 40 footer.. but since I road trip in mine all over in and out of cities and stay at hotels a lot. I love the short (7 row) bus as I can park it i nthe same spot as 2 Car spaces... and also make most of my right turns without making people back-up even in downtowns of cities...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Almost There

Thanks for the input. I'm still on the hunt.

Finding a flat front wheelchair lift bus for as mush as the rest of them ($2-4000) isn't as easy as I thought it would be.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i think a short bus is fine for 2, if you got more passengers, then i think you need the extra length.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
My bus is about 30feet-ish, with 25 feet of usable space. I think constantly how I wish I could have that extra 10 feet, but also I wouldn't be able to park in my yard and I think my bus barely fits in many places because it's just small enough. My plan is to have a few trailers for additional storage and ready for the occasion, so I think you'll make whatever size you have work.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
Bus Geek

trailers are a great idea for carrying all the "stuff" you want for travelling... luggage, bikes, toys, rtc.. thast way your bus just needs to house and sleep in its cabin... trailer makes for a bend in turning radius as well so you can still fit in fairly compact spaces... or drop the trailer and park beside it, etc..

-Christopher
Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
Almost There

What is the general height from deck level to the ground on most busees?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
My bus is about 30feet-ish, with 25 feet of usable space. I think constantly how I wish I could have that extra 10 feet, but also I wouldn't be able to park in my yard and I think my bus barely fits in many places because it's just small enough. My plan is to have a few trailers for additional storage and ready for the occasion, so I think you'll make whatever size you have work.
Occasionally I have a jealous streak when I see the bigger buses, but for our lifestyle and location a big one just wouldn't work. We're in a similar situation. A 40 footer won't fit on our property unless we feel like redoing the driveway and hacking down another 15 trees. Don't wanna do that
The short bus suits our backroads travelling much better, too. We like to go down trails that simply would not accommodate a larger vehicle. Heck, we've even been to places that have signs posted stating a maximum vehicle length of 25ft (due to hairpin turns/switchbacks). Our bus is exactly 25ft!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
If you anticipate your swing room, i.e. take a larger part of the road to make your turn, the bus will clear corners without an issue. It's easier to demonstrate than type on a keyboard to explain - well at least for me, I'm a visual and learn-by-practice person.
Believe it or not....

People WILL get out of your way!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

For full time living the 40ft is preferable.

I'd suggest looking around how big are the biggest city buses, used in the cities you will visit?

I'm rather fortunate with mine it's the same size as the buses used, so with care everywhere will fit it without needing to swing into a side lane while turning.

A few roads get a bit tight though, inch either side of the bus.
retiredChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #20
Bus Geek

people WILL move when they have to.. but it sometimes takes awhile.. I watched a prevost Camper in downtown philadelphia have to back up a line of 15 cars... of course by this time the light changes.. other people are coming.. horns are blazing, etc..

also pay attention when you think of city busses as many cities have different size busses for different routes sometimes due to ridership but also due to street size in crowded areas.. or the city may run the bus along a complete straight line for quite some time as opposed to turning it....

even with a Short bus I use a Trucker GPS when I am travelling to strange areas... not only is it good about Low-heights.. (esp in the east coast / new england).. but also with turning radius.. thus far it hasnt sent me down a dark back alley with no way out..and its avoided all the "11'8"'s..

-Christopher