Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
shower/sauna combo

Has anyone ever built a little sauna in a bus? I'd like to somehow create a cedar lined shower that turns into a sauna heated with a woodstove. I'd hate to go through the trouble of reinventing the wheel if I don't have to. Whadda ya think?

Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: shower/sauna combo

There's a lot of good information about construction at the sauna site: http://www.saunasite.com/index-en/engindex.htm

You can probably do some figuring scaling down from their information.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

Year: 1994

ive seen one on a bus before...its pretty cool
Old 08-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Some great ideas, I'll have to check it out for sure. I'd much rather just take up the space of a shower area than an area for a tub. And sauna's get you much cleaner than any old tub would. Baths are pretty much equal to stewing in your own juices so to speak... Although...a nice bubble bath with hot, steamy water and a candle...never mind.
*ahem*
Yes, I'll definitely have to check this out. Thank you!

Ireland
Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thats when the Japanese method comes it. First you wash, then you bathe.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Ahh, now you're talking Smitty! I've already thought of a back deck but it never occured to me to have a somewhat external sauna. That makes a lot of sense! I was thinking along the lines of a dehumidifier but I like your idea better. I wonder if I could actually put a wood stove out there too? I'd really like the bedroom in the back of the bus and I'm not sure how that would work with a wood stove in the middle of it all!

Keep the ideas coming, they're making my wheels spin and everybody loves a spinning wheel...specially when it's on a bus.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Wood-fired is certainly traditional. The electrics require a ton of power. The most unusual idea I heard of was cutting down a propane water heater tank, and putting the stones in the bottom of the shell. I never saw the plans, only heard about it.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I'd definitely be using a wood stove. Once upon a time in a far off place, I was married to a Finn. The Finnish people love their saunas and that's when I started loving them too!

The further away I can get from any extras that involve power, the better. Way back when in that far off place, we had no electricity in our bus. Of course I don't want to go that far this time, I'm a "little" older now and enjoy a little more comfort than I used to. I intend on having an electric piano/keyboard and I don't believe they've invented a peddle pump power one yet...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Smitty, that would have been an organ and what I want is more along the lines of an electric piano.