Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Chassis: Bluebird B Series
Engine: GMC C7H064
Rated Cap: 62
Simple Stereo upgrade

Greetings, Skoolies! First post here and a conversion newbie. I am tasked with upgrading the stereo system in our 1999 GMC/Bluebird. Currently installed are ceiling speakers (CRC 2094) and a tape deck radio (CRC-3800A). I am looking to simply replace these components and replace them with larger, louder, higher power, Bluetooth capable, RCA outs for external amp and subs, additional speakers, etc. I've read that I might have a hard time being able to simply swap these components without having to rewire. I simply want to swap if possible. I found an REI CD5000 which appears to be compatible, but is expensive. The speakers are fairly low profile, but figured that is an easy fix by either using a different low profile speaker or using a shim/gasket of sorts to mount outside the ceiling sheet metal. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?!?! Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8088.jpg   IMG_8089.jpg   IMG_8090.jpg  

MagnumThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #2

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumThunder View Post
Greetings, Skoolies! First post here and a conversion newbie. I am tasked with upgrading the stereo system in our 1999 GMC/Bluebird. Currently installed are ceiling speakers (CRC 2094) and a tape deck radio (CRC-3800A). I am looking to simply replace these components and replace them with larger, louder, higher power, Bluetooth capable, RCA outs for external amp and subs, additional speakers, etc. I've read that I might have a hard time being able to simply swap these components without having to rewire. I simply want to swap if possible. I found an REI CD5000 which appears to be compatible, but is expensive. The speakers are fairly low profile, but figured that is an easy fix by either using a different low profile speaker or using a shim/gasket of sorts to mount outside the ceiling sheet metal. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?!?! Thank you in advance!
I am actually wondering the same exact thing. Did you ever figure this out? No thanks to all the wonderful help that usually shows up in these forums.

LankyShaft
LankyShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Year: 1999
Chassis: Bluebird B Series
Engine: GMC C7H064
Rated Cap: 62
I hear ya. I didn’t find a lot of info out there, so I ended up creating my own design. Fortunately, it was pretty simple, but may not work well in every case. The head unit will swap out easily with most single DIN car stereo units. It’s been a couple years, so I can’t recall, but I think I found the bus’ radio wiring schematics, cut and labeled them, then connected them accordingly with the new unit’s wiring harness them taped off any unused wires. I bought a fairly cheap Pioneer with Bluetooth and “50W/ch” that would have enough power to get decent sound and it dropped right in. I think that I used the existing mounting brackets. I decided that it was best to not use use the existing speaker locations in the ceiling and ended up mounting 4 6x9 speakers in boxes to the metal panels above the seats with small L brackets. The panels remove fairly easily to run the new speaker wire, otherwise you could go on the outside. Remember to use rubber grommets if running wire through any sheet metal. I then added a sub amp using RCA outs in the head unit and placed it behind the driver seat. There is easy access to the battery compartment and easy grounding to basically any metal nearby. I then placed 2 10” subs over the rear wheel wells where we removed seats and ran speaker wire along the floor in flexible conduit. The whole thing was actually pretty simple to do, but took a lot of drilling through metal. Let me know if I can help any more!
MagnumThunder is offline   Reply With Quote