Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Skinning your bus. Any regrets?

I blanked 9 windows on a 13 window (per side) bus. Probably should of done a couple more. My mistake was the window blanks where made out of FRP laminated to plywood with epoxy resin. The epoxy resin is ridged, and when the sun hit the blanks the FRP expanded, but the epoxy didn't; to wit, I got bumps in my blanks--and it bummed me out.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Almost There
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71

I read on here in some other topic and I thought it worth mentioning again. If you apply the sheet metal to skin the bus, apply heat via a heat gun to heat the metal. This expands the metal and when it cools and contracts it'll keep the metal from buckling as the temperture fluctuates. Do this prior to drilling the holes of course otherwise your holes won't allign and defeat the purpose.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Ronald Reagan
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Site Team

After reading people's comments and looking closer at the bus, I think I am gong to skin 2 windows at a time. That way if I want to make changes down the road, it will be easier(I hope).
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

CC, To expand on Kimberlink's coment, drill the holes in the patch panel where you think they should go. Using a centrally located hole at the top of the patch, match the repair panel to the bus and drill this first hole on the bus as a starting point. Rivit this hole. Next begin heating the patch panel starting at the top and moving down as if you were spraying paint. Repeat this procedure until the patch is too hot to comfortably touch. Then use a marks-a-lot (or something) to mark through the holes on the patch panel and onto the bus itself. Let the patch panel cool, remove the first rivit, drill the bus body as marked. Next, put the patch panel on the bus again with a single new rivit, heat the metal as before and install the rest of the rivits starting top to bottom while the metal is hot, proceeding left to right, top to bottom. It works great and doesn't require multiple people. It's a good idea to use sealer of some kind between the patch and the bus but don't use any more than necessary as it will tend to distort the patch. My two cents worth, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote