Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Skoolie Conversions Near Dallas Tx

Is there anyone currently working on a skoolie conversion in the Dallas area? I started my conversion a few months ago (you can see photos at TheBigBusTheory.wordpress.com) and now that I'm done with the deconstruction process, it's time for the construction process.

The reason I ask is I am in the buying phase of my project and I'm finding that there are a lot of great deals available but only if I buy large quantities. Also, the delivery fees are usually a fixed cost, so it makes more sense to do large orders than small ones.

So I started wondering, is anyone else running into this same situation? I am gonna need to buy several pallets of 4x8 plywood sheets and a bunch of Styrofoam. Does anyone want to combine orders for basic building materials?

For example, I am about to buy 100 sheets of 3/4" styrofoam. Each sheet is 4ft wide by 20ft long and with delivery, it will come to $800. But I could order 200 sheets and the total cost would only be $1200. So if I could find someone else who needs to buy insulation, we could each pay $600 and it would be a fantastic deal for both of us.

I'm guessing the same type of thing will apply to plywood, which is the next big item I need to buy.

Please note: I don't want to sell stuff, I'm not trying to make a profit, and I don't want to be a middleman. Instead of making money, I'm just trying to find a way to save money.

gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I'll take a hundred sheets if I can get them in California.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobygoby View Post
Is there anyone currently working on a skoolie conversion in the Dallas area? I started my conversion a few months ago (you can see photos at TheBigBusTheory.wordpress.com) and now that I'm done with the deconstruction process, it's time for the construction process.
I know that this is an older post, but we bought a bus this year from Plano ISD, and are working on it out in Arlington. Are you still working on yours in Dallas?
Justin McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote