Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: SKOOLIE - Governed or Geared?

If I could do it, I would. Could never figure out that long of linkage though. It wouldnt be an expensive modification either for you. Hope I didnt ruin your sleep with this thought.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Sleep? Hahahaha...

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
Jack one rear wheel up, put it in neutral. Turn the wheel one revolution and count how many times the drive shaft spins. For example, if the drive shaft turns about 5 1/4 turns for every spin of the wheel you have 5.29's.

Almost......

since the bus likely has an open differential, and you are only moving one wheel, you have to follow the directions above except rotate the tire TWICE while counting drive shaft revolutions. (for posterity's sake, i just went out and jacked up the tire of a truck with a known 4.10:1 rear end ratio, and turning the wheel two revolutions, while the other wheel is on the ground, yielded 4 complete driveshaft revolutions plus a little more. )

alternatively, you could jack up both tires and turn both sets of rear tires at the same time one revolution (would take two separate people)

or you could mark the tires and drive the bus slowly for 1 revolution while someone lays down and counts the driveshaft revolutions.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 w/MT643
Rated Cap: 71

WOW....sorry it's taken this long to respond. When I got the email saying my post had been approved, I quickly checked and there were no replies....or the next day, so I figured I'd give it a couple days and man oh man did the flood gates open.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess the 2 things we needed to know basically the height of the tire and the RPMs during said top speed. The tire height is either 41 - 42 inches. I can't tell exactly as it sits my grass/dirt in the backyard and it's nowhere near flat. The RPM's are unknown. I'm sure I took a look at 'em when I was driving, but that was almost 2 months ago.

I can check the revs in neutral in the next day or two as the heaters are going to be hooked back up. The lines are jimmy rigged right now and wouldnt want to chance blowing one of them off while testing.

The power is there when accelerating. I thought it would take alot longer for it to get up to speed, but was pleasantly surprised when getting on the freeways.

So company just showed up.....gotta go.

Thanks again,

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
heathnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Based on the fact you get up to speed quickly, it probably is just that you are hitting the governor. If you're governed at 2400, which would be normal, you have a 4.78 rear. Adjusting the governor will get you more speed, but then you're revving your motor faster. This means more fuel consumption and more wear and tear.

Brutus
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Adjusting the governor will get you more speed, but then you're revving your motor faster. This means more fuel consumption and more wear and tear.
If I didnt know any better, I'd day you're trying to talk me out of adjusting the governer so you can win the race.....

What you say does make sense though. I was going to try and jack up the bus and spin the wheel but then realized I'd have to add the weight capacities of all my jacks and then buy a few more to get the thing off the ground. Actually, with it being in the grass, the jack I think would sink quite a bit before it ever moved the bus.

I will now start a new thread on how people jack up their bus...

Thanks,

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathnlaura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Adjusting the governor will get you more speed, but then you're revving your motor faster. This means more fuel consumption and more wear and tear.
If I didnt know any better, I'd day you're trying to talk me out of adjusting the governer so you can win the race.....

What you say does make sense though. I was going to try and jack up the bus and spin the wheel but then realized I'd have to add the weight capacities of all my jacks and then buy a few more to get the thing off the ground. Actually, with it being in the grass, the jack I think would sink quite a bit before it ever moved the bus.

I will now start a new thread on how people jack up their bus...

Thanks,
Lol... YUP!! Bus races!! Are you sure there isn't a tag or stamp anywhere on the pumpkin? There usually is. And I am probably exaggerating the consequences of raising the governor. I can spin mine to over 2900 under load, but I am looking forward to regearing and lowering it.

Brutus
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

WOW.....There is a tag on the pumpkin and it says , "ratio 5:11". Is that right? I want to say what kind of crazy gearing do these need, but then take into account it weighs more than 5 times my old 87 3/4 ton Suburban.

Gears be damned...we'll ride the highways and by ways even if we only get 3 gallons to the mile.

I want to get some miles under our keesters to check the mileage, then try the fuel rate and governer mods. Doesn't sound like it was too hard to do and even if it only got better mileage it would be worth it.

I'm very curiouse if others had the same results at lapeer20 with his power gains and mileage.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Wait....I was actually referring to the GVWR. That's 29,000 lbs. When I had it weighted to get the title, with half the seats out and a full tank of gas, it was just over 17,500 lbs. Kinda neat to think that you can haul 30 sumo wrestlers, if the need were to arise.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Kinda neat to think that you can haul 30 sumo wrestlers, if the need were to arise.
Yes, but by no means should you attempt to haul 31!! That last one will make cause the flux capacitor to over flux and your whole bus will collapse, or time wold just stop... I forget which now!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
WOW.....There is a tag on the pumpkin and it says , "ratio 5:11". Is that right? I want to say what kind of crazy gearing do these need, but then take into account it weighs more than 5 times my old 87 3/4 ton Suburban.

Gears be damned...we'll ride the highways and by ways even if we only get 3 gallons to the mile.

I want to get some miles under our keesters to check the mileage, then try the fuel rate and governer mods. Doesn't sound like it was too hard to do and even if it only got better mileage it would be worth it.

I'm very curiouse if others had the same results at lapeer20 with his power gains and mileage.

Thanks again everyone.
Yup, that's it. My guess was off a little. My experience with the fuel mod was great, but that's not all I did. I turned up the fuel, adjusted the preboost star wheel, and advanced the timing. I then adjusted the throttle cable to get my idle right and make sure I was getting full travel. Adjusting the governor was pretty easy, you just have to make sure you adjust both springs the same number of clicks. I shimmed the inner springs as I recall. I also straight piped it

Brutus