Bus Nut
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: SKOOLIE - Governed or Geared?

Originally Posted by heathnlaura
WOW.....There is a tag on the pumpkin and it says , "ratio 5:11". Is that right? I want to say what kind of crazy gearing do these need, but then take into account it weighs more than 5 times my old 87 3/4 ton Suburban.

Gears be damned...we'll ride the highways and by ways even if we only get 3 gallons to the mile.

I want to get some miles under our keesters to check the mileage, then try the fuel rate and governer mods. Doesn't sound like it was too hard to do and even if it only got better mileage it would be worth it.

I'm very curiouse if others had the same results at lapeer20 with his power gains and mileage.

Thanks again everyone.
Yup, that's it. My guess was off a little. My experience with the fuel mod was great, but that's not all I did. I turned up the fuel, adjusted the preboost star wheel, and advanced the timing. I then adjusted the throttle cable to get my idle right and make sure I was getting full travel. Adjusting the governor was pretty easy, you just have to make sure you adjust both springs the same number of clicks. I shimmed the inner springs as I recall. I also straight piped it
The journey is the destination...

JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote