Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Skoolie Idea

I did the same thing as Vonslatt too to drill my hole for my hitch. I told a guy what I saw and even this guy never heard of that being done before and he is more than 65 years old now.
All I can say is it made a hard job of laying on my back easy by just sitting under there and using a jack.

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
Almost There

I like the idea of using an RV shell. You could rip the plumbing and gear out of it and use it for the bus and then build bunks in the holes you made.

As for towing it, you will be very surprised how easy it is. I towed a 27' camper behind my 10 window dog nosed International. I've never had an easier time towing in my life. Like Lapeer said, it tracks right behind the bus. It even makes the ride smoother. The length makes switching lanes more of a chore, but thats about it. I took it on some two lane country roads and 1.5 lane roads in winding hills and never had a problem. I even backed it down the side of a grassy hill without incident. Get a backup camera and it will tell you the angle of the trailer if you cant see it in the mirrors.

Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Buses have such a long wheelbase and they're so heavy, that towing a trailer would be pretty nice. I towed a 25 foot travel trailer with a Chevy Tahoe for a while. The tail wagged the dog so to speak. Anytime a big truck would go by, it would about suck me off the road. A long wheelbase definitely is the best thing for towing.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #24
Bus Nut

a piece of rope or ckain around the frame and a 2x4 for a lever gives you a lot of control fir the upside dowm drillpress, in my opinion not being under the hot chips is more important than sore shoulders. I vote for the long buss shortened up into a mini rv/toter and a monster trailer or whatever fits your needs, then if your camping you can have an established campsite and transportation for siteseeing or whatever and also have the option of a tent between the bus and trailer kinda like what elliot did at burningman.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #25

Jimmy, I'm in New Braunfels.

Right now I'm thinking about buying my grandmother's old 18' (with the hitch) HiLo camper. She doesn't use it and wants to give it to me or sell it really cheap. It seems like it would be really easy to pullI would probably leave the toilet and changing area in it but take out the kitchenette and replace it with some sort of 1 person retractable bunk beds. It would then sleep 8 people. I would also remodel it to make it look newer. Then I could look for a short bus and look into converting it. I would have to put a major drop hitch on the bus before it would pull the HiLo very well.
bgrimm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #26

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I don't know were I found this but it's a skoolie toter. Kind of.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote