Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chev 350 gas-replacement
Skoolie is back!! Thank God!

Hello everyone,

I'm frantically trying to get my bus ready for it's maiden voyage--a camping trip in 3 days (!!)

Tonight I HAVE to figure out why none of the rear turn/brake/backup lights work. Zero. These lights worked when I got the bus. I pulled covers, marker lights, grille, headlight cans, etc for the paint job two weeks ago, and started re-installing everything on Monday.

There is one marker light (upper driver's side rear corner) that isn't working, but all the rest are fine, now that I have the right bulbs. The side markers are a different type of light and bulb, and don't work either, but since the bus isn't 30 feet long, technically I'm not required to have anything in that spot. I may just pull the lights and put on a couple of yellow reflectors.

I got a tester last night but haven't had a chance to use it. I was outside last night at 11 pm with a headlamp, one foot on a stepladder and the other on the hood, a screwdriver in my hand, replacing little round lamps.

Anyone have any input, ideas, guidance?? I'd be forever grateful!

Cheers,
TA

Tool Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Skoolie is back!! Thank God!

since you repainted do the lights have a good ground to the body still?
A pc of wire attatched to clean metal,and "touch" the metal tangs on the bulb housings(grounded w/mounting screws) and see if they light up
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Bansil,

I wondered about that, since the grounding bars are pretty corroded, and I bent them upwards while painting.
But all 6 lights don't work?? I'll try that though, thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I added a ground wire to our rear lights because the "ground plate" was in such bad shape. I figured I would loose the ground at the worst possible moment otherwise.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Im sure a quick clamping of an alligator clip to a good grounding point will confirm if your ground is good or bad to get the lights up and going.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Fuse? I hate it when that happens.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Fuse? I hate it when that happens.
So far I haven't been able to find ANY fuses!! Definitely a scary thought--a manual is on the list of things I need to buy SOON.

This morning I woke up thinking that I need to have someone step on the brakes while I test the light--brakes and backup lights wouldn't shine if not in use, y'know...got my 11-year-old son to sit in the driver's seat and step on the brakes. It is bright and sunny, the white paint reflects like nobody's business, and I can't see any kind of light in the tester when I put the probe into the socket. I did see a spark though, but then had to give it up and get ready for work.

I then tried to run a wire to substitute for the rusted ground strip, got it in place, went into the bus to start it, and CLICKKKKKKK...oh crap. All this dinking around with the lights on and bus off have drained the battery. Either that or the starter is shot...crap crap crap...thinking I definitely need to change out the side door so it will work without running the battery down. There must be enough juice to open and close the door, but not enough for the starter....need to get home and find the battery charger.

This isn't going to work for this weekend--still too much to do, and I need to get all the gear in my minivan, ready to leave from work tomorrow afternoon. Honey will just have to sleep in the van (been there, done that) and it's one more camping trip sleeping in the tent.

Next month we'll go somewhere, even if it's only a state park 25 miles away...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You probably don't need a second person if you turn on your flashers. If your battery is so weak that it won't start because you have lights on for testing, I would probably get new batteries before going on a trip. Nothing like trying to start a vehicle when no one else is around to give you a jump. I agree with other that mentioned checking the ground.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

I use a crank with a long handle to start my bus...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
You probably don't need a second person if you turn on your flashers. If your battery is so weak that it won't start because you have lights on for testing, I would probably get new batteries before going on a trip. Nothing like trying to start a vehicle when no one else is around to give you a jump. I agree with other that mentioned checking the ground.
The lights were on for testing for a couple of hours over the last few days. Also I hooked the electric door mechanism up again on Tuesday, so that was more drain on the battery.

On my list of fun things to do--put the battery on a charger Sunday when I get back, and if it doesn't hold a charge, replace it. I'm hoping it's just the battery, don't really want to have to figure out if it's the starter or the alternator that's shot.

When I got the bus last month, the previous owner said that it was an old battery and wouldn't last long. Since the engine is new, I'm hoping the starter and alternator are also new. <<crossing fingers>>