Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie projects un Québec, Canada

Hi everyone,

Newbie here with, like many of you, a skoolie conversion to RV project.

Been researching extensively this amazing site and other for ideas and valuable info on the what, when, how, where and why.

Thruout my research, came to realize that here in Québec, we are governed by the strictest transportation Laws in north America, which makes a skoolie conversion project almost impossible. A lot of info out here do not apply to us regarding safety and regulations. Very few project info on bus conversion in Québec exist and the info is sparse and hidden here and there.

I suggest this thread be the place where us, from Québec and it's Laws, meet, share info, experiences, the good and the bad. Has anyone done a complete skoolie conversion in Québec? Has anyone given up on the project? If so, why?

So please, if you live in Québec, let us know you exist in this thread and we'll try to create a little Québec community. We are very few enthousiasts out there in Québec, might as well share info and talk

Thanks and cheers! Looking forward to see who's out There.

Jean-François

Jeffbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
why don't just buy an rv schoolies done right probably cost more.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Because actually doing the skoolie is half of the fun!!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hello J-F!

We're based in the Eastern Townships and have a GMC shortbus from Girardin. The rules in Quebec are indeed very strict. We've registered our bus as a heavy personal-use vehicle (no annual inspection because it's under 3500kg). We were looking at a taller bus with a double rear-axle until we realized we'd have to do annual inspections.

We've got a bed in ours and use if for boondocking-style roadtrips with our three kids. We went up the North Shore last year and had a blast.

what our bus looked like for its first season. We're now moving to diner-style seating and a little kitchen area.
Shortbusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, thanks for your post. Good looking skoolie. W 3 kids, what did you do for seating? Kept a few original seats w/o seat belts? How did you solve that problem?

Cheers!

J.-F.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

We kept 2 rows of seats (four benches in total). We bought factory seatbelts from Girardin. Converting a bus to sleep and drive five is a bit different than sleeping and driving 2!
Shortbusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbegin View Post
Hi everyone,

Newbie here with, like many of you, a skoolie conversion to RV project.

Been researching extensively this amazing site and other for ideas and valuable info on the what, when, how, where and why.

Thruout my research, came to realize that here in Québec, we are governed by the strictest transportation Laws in north America, which makes a skoolie conversion project almost impossible. A lot of info out here do not apply to us regarding safety and regulations. Very few project info on bus conversion in Québec exist and the info is sparse and hidden here and there.

I suggest this thread be the place where us, from Québec and it's Laws, meet, share info, experiences, the good and the bad. Has anyone done a complete skoolie conversion in Québec? Has anyone given up on the project? If so, why?

So please, if you live in Québec, let us know you exist in this thread and we'll try to create a little Québec community. We are very few enthousiasts out there in Québec, might as well share info and talk

Thanks and cheers! Looking forward to see who's out There.

Jean-François
Hi i would love to have access to all of your amazing and hidden information is possible
LouannaRosset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

Hello -
I am just starting a Skoolie project and needing to adhere to the SAAQ conversion requirements...ideally I want to have side facing couches, to seat 4 - 80 inches long..I will buy factory built wall mounted RV couches and factory built 3 point seatbelts. If anybody has been successful with a similar seat configuration and installation requirements, would appreciate any insight,
thanks
Sue
smphogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Although not a skoolie, you might look up Ivan Lacroix - he and his wife have converted (I think) 3 coach buses now and I believe some of their experiences might apply to you. He lists his phone number publicly on his FB page and, I think, on their YouTube page too. Seem like really nice people and if I watch enough of their videos I might learn some French, too. Lacroix Cruisers
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote