Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20
Re: SKOOLIE - roof raise cons?

Sorry Thjakits, I should have been clear that I meant weight in relation to maintaining mpg's not total GVWR And I don't plan to spend a lot of time on the road, mostly exploring a list of places that I might want to settle down in, so maybe 5% driving and 95% living and checking out the lay of the land, and if the weather suits my bones

Gotta spend so much on the darned solar system that I've got to simplify and keep costs down everywhere else I can, but the deck is a must cuz I need exterior storage for all the tools and some personal stuff that has to come with. But roger, I'll be scrounging the junkyards and keeping an eye out for buses to salvage as I go, I am definitely a big believer in repurposing whenever possible ;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
So are there any threads where the poster takes you through the entire process? ... Thanks for any input or links.
;?D
You might try the Millicent Chronicles. Link in my signature, I think.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #23

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

No roof raise for me. My interior height is 78". That is just fine for me. I don't see any problems with a roof raise if you know what you are doing.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -

...there are quite a few "new" roof raises here lately and all seem to be quality work!

Lightfoot - rear porch, "not over-building", etc. - another very simple, but VERY important designer tool is TRIANGULATION! Build up any and all structures in triangles! and you should have never a problem with things breaking in weird places.
You can even trial out every problem/solution with balsa sticks or tooth-picks or solder up a sample from solid copper wire and start to load up your creation!

See: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112924

[WARNING! That site is addictive! ...just like skoolie.net!]

Have fun!

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote