Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

SKOOLIE - roof raise cons?

My husband is worried that raising the roof on our bus conversion-in-planning would significantly change the integrity of the bus and thus how safe it would be in the event of a rollover etc. Since we will be traveling with our two school-age children, we are placing a premium on safety. Yet, we'd also like a bus that can accommodate his height comfortably.

How do you raise the roof without compromising its safety rating?

Many thanks for your answers!
BusyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: SKOOLIE - roof raise cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBus
My husband is worried that raising the roof on our bus conversion-in-planning would significantly change the integrity of the bus and thus how safe it would be in the event of a rollover etc. Since we will be traveling with our two school-age children, we are placing a premium on safety. Yet, we'd also like a bus that can accommodate his height comfortably.

How do you raise the roof without compromising its safety rating?

Many thanks for your answers!
This has been beaten to death on this site.

Done properly, the bus will still take a role over with minimum bending.

No RV can take even a side flop, so why do you care about rolling a skoolie?

The way you build your interior will be more important. If a entire cabinet, or fridge comes loose and hits you, game over.

Your way over thinking this.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Once I welded the new steel supports in and removed the windows and riveted steel over them. I feel my bus is stronger than before. I will put windows in but not as many.

But as I promised Nat, I will not do a roll over test to see if it is indeed stronger.

If you have seen an RV in a crash, we are way ahead, and Nat is right, chock, cough ( that was hard to say) "The way you build your interior will be more important. If a entire cabinet, or fridge comes loose and hits you, game over."

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Once I welded the new steel supports in and removed the windows and riveted steel over them. I feel my bus is stronger than before. I will put windows in but not as many.

But as I promised Nat, I will not do a roll over test to see if it is indeed stronger.

If you have seen an RV in a crash, we are way ahead, and Nat is right, chock, cough ( that was hard to say) "The way you build your interior will be more important. If a entire cabinet, or fridge comes loose and hits you, game over."
X3, School Buses are designed for children to survive buses getting hit by trains & trucks, after raising my roof & adding doublers on the ribs I'm confident my skoolie is far superior & can handle any accident far better than any factory RV,

Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

I agree with the belief that regular factory built RV's are no match for the quality of school bus construction. I am not a structural engineer so I can't say with certainty that roof raises don't in some way compromise the structural strength. However, even if they did the quality and safety would still exceed a typical RV.

Danville, California
http://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78

My biggest concern would be the moment arm is longer on a raised roof, so there's more of a "lever" to crush/bend the structure than before. Having said that, I'm totally lifting the roof on our bus at least a foot - I see no major issues with it, done correctly.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

So are there any threads where the poster takes you through the entire process? I've been thinking about possibly doing the same, at least for the back half, and while I can weld a decent bead, I don't have any xp engineering the structure of a vehicle. Yes, I know, I'm also probably overthinking this as well, BUT I really want to do this right if I do it at all and while I'm sure there are several ways to do this, I would sure appreciate some guidance. Thanks for any input or links.
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
So are there any threads where the poster takes you through the entire process? I've been thinking about possibly doing the same, at least for the back half, and while I can weld a decent bead, I don't have any xp engineering the structure of a vehicle. Yes, I know, I'm also probably overthinking this as well, BUT I really want to do this right if I do it at all and while I'm sure there are several ways to do this, I would sure appreciate some guidance. Thanks for any input or links.
;?D
Very well documented roof raise, I used his idea's for mine, a little overkill but overkill never hurt anybody

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much for that link... uh, you wouldn't happen to know what page that starts on, that thread's over 50 pages long , lol. Ah well, no matter, tho I don't have skoolie, I'm sure there's a ton of good info so it'll make for a good read in my spare time.
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Well got through William's roof raising (great thread btw, thanks again for that link allwthrrider) and it did give me some good ideas, but mainly that I'll probably wait until my next bus project, lol. Not that it's not doable, but it is a lot of work and truthfully I don't think I really need the extra height. I have to accept that this bus isn't going to be as roomy as I would like, but it'll do for the next couple of years until I get out of Iowa and head back west. Then with some bus living experience under my belt I can make a decision as to whether or not to start a bigger/better bus project.'
;?D