Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Question Skoolie Survey for School

Hey Everyone!
I have a project and right now I'm in the data collection stage. My business idea is to make skoolies for people that don't have time to. The skoolie would be the customers design or a preset one based off of length. Please complete the survey so I know if there's actually a market for this! If you have any ideas/questions please post them! Also, can y'all please post some photos of your skoolie (preferably completed but in-progress is great too) so that I can use it in my presentation? I will give appropriate credit if you provide your name and location.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...AuhSw/viewform

PS Please share this!

wile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Done, I was 1st

what do I win
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I hope your survey is targeting other audiences than this forum, because I think your results may show that most of us are do it ourselves kind of people.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Yeah I know y'all are. I was hoping to get some of the people who really want to build a skoolie but just don't have the time or ran out of motivation half way through. Do y'all have any ideas on where I could post this to target then?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I'm always interested in the people who ask about starting a schoolie conversion business. I guess there are some legitimate reasons why someone would not do it them selves. The main one being no physical location to do it. I don't buy the "I don't have the skills/ability to do it". There have been plenty on this board that have learned/taught themselves how to do things.

You must have a reasonable expectation of making a profit. Even if you have a REALLY good place to get a bus, less than 10 years old, cheaply and you do a bare minimum conversion, I can't see that you would have less than $8000 invested. That's just to buy the bus and materials needed.

Don't forget you are going to need in varying degrees some sort of
  1. HVAC, heat, AC, or both.
  2. Electrical systems, probably both 12VDC and 120VAC
  3. Domestic water system
  4. Some way to handle waste.
  5. Some way to store and prepare food,
  6. Creature comforts, seating, bedding, etc
In order to use your time wisely you will need to have a LOT of tools. Tools for metal working, wood working, painting, plumbing, electrical and the skills to use them. You have to be able to do almost everything yourself. If you hire someone else to do it remember, THEY have to make a profit which, adds to the amount you have to sell it for.

If you could possibly get one finished in a month, using a 40 hour week and $20 an hour you just added $3,200 to your $8,000. Do people have $11,200 laying around for such things? I'm pretty sure there isn't a bank in the world that would loan the money for one.

Before I get jumped all over by those saying "I did mine for less" remember this is for something to sell. Is yours less than 10 years old? Is it still yellow? Does it have all new materials? If not would you feel comfortable installing a used gas appliance? If this is a business and you intend to do more than one, you can't rely on Craigs list for your materials.

I think that most schoolie owners are in the "I don't have much/any money" category, I know I am. My schoolie is probably one of the more expensive on this board, it isn't finished yet and so far I have been at it for about 5 years. It is my retirement project and I am able to tinker and experiment with alternative ways of doing the "RV" thing. I am putting into practice all of the things I have learned in my life and am still learning and perfecting new skills. Most importantly IT'S PAID FOR and I haven't borrowed anything to do it.

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post

Most importantly IT'S PAID FOR and I haven't borrowed anything to do it.

Only way to go!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Somewhere that is an excellent post and what I was going to write out...I was too busy though
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I've thought about "professionally" converting skoolies, but it always comes back to "Can I make a profit off of this?" And usually, in the internal dialogue, the answer is almost always a resounding "NO", mostly for the reasons Dick elaborated above.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #9

Thanks for y'all's input. I admit starting the business would be difficult but once this gets past my professor then I'm entered in the school's competition and I could win $20,000. So that should be enough to get me started. At least for one bus. I have a deal worked out with the local school district for the bus supply and I'm working on deals with local hardware stores for the other supplies. Please let me know if there's other concerns! I need to be prepared for the "shark tank" of judges in the final round.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 5.7L
What kind of drive train do the buses in your local district have? I think you would want to stick to what is highly sought after if your plan is to sell them. Also what kind of experience do you already have converting skoolies or building tiny homes? If I was going to pay to have a bus converted or buy one already converted, I would want to be sure it was done by someone with the know how and not just put together by someone itching to make a profit.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

And how in hell are you going to offer any sort of warranty?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I have thought about the logistics of doing conversions and if I was going to do them I would look at doing them on buses that were already purchased by the end user. This would remove the responsibility for drive line unless that was an area you provide a service for.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Somewhere that is an excellent post and what I was going to write out...I was too busy though
Yeah, me too.
The only real money to be made is in the flipping buses gig.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Done!

Great questions. Fingers crossed that you get the prize money

Sandi

www.thismidwifetravels.com
You are welcome to use photos from my blog for your project.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, ideas, questions, survey