Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I like tending to the steering wheel while my bus goes SOUTH when its frigid outside
-Christopher
Warm weather down south would bore me to tears anymore, you gotta love the cold refreshing Great White North.

Also your Uncle Sam doesn't approve of my company in your country anymore.

I'd be at the helm of that Redbyrd too if'n it were mine now that you have the tranny installed and working.

John

Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Warm weather down south would bore me to tears anymore, you gotta love the cold refreshing Great White North.

Also your Uncle Sam doesn't approve of my company in your country anymore.

I'd be at the helm of that Redbyrd too if'n it were mine now that you have the tranny installed and working.

John
my body is little.. I cant handle the chill.. ive no insulation(and I dont want any)... I have to go to calgary sometimes for work... holy crap they only keep it like 18 or 19 in that office... I sit and shiver N shake for hours until im exhausted so much I cant even eat.. so now I refuse to go up there unless I can have a work area for my time there thats 25!!

as for the redbyrd.. wow what a difference a Tranny makes! whole different bus now.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
Skoolie

RE: GEN SET

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
It seems to me that few to none of them have underbody storage, and school buses certainly don't have generators. To install a generator on a diesel-powered school bus, I'd either have to go with the gas generator I already have (meaning I'd have to maintain a separate fuel supply for that generator, which brings with it the added issue of the generator shutting off when the fuel runs out in only a few hours... forget trying to sleep through the night with it running if we need A/C) or buy a diesel generator to hook into the main fuel tank (diesel generators are WICKEDLY expensive - several thousand dollars new, and commensurate to their sticker price on the used market - and I imagine that the work to hook it into the tank would be no cheap deal either, since I doubt I'd be able to do that job myself).
How about a conversion for the gen set to gas/propane? It's not very hard or expensive ($125-150). Since I need propane for cooking, heat and hot water it seemed the way to go.

I am mounting a converted bi-fuel 5,800 Watt Genset under my 4 window bus ... there seems to be enough room once you take the big tank off the unit. I have a 1 gallon gas tank that I will mount out of the way and use for cold starting.

BTW, there is a LOT of room under my 4 window GMC Savanah 19 seat bus. I've mounted my 3 house batteries as well as the 2 SLI bus batteries under the bus. I will be installing the gray water tank and the propane tank under there as well ... and STILL have more room for under bus storage.

To address your main question, you will need a large and varied skills set, not to mention tools, to do a school bus conversion. If you are challenged by plumbing a diesel fuel line to a genset, this might not be for you.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote