Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Re: Skoolies on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
I know we have metal instead of plywood and fiberglass but I have to wonder, as we put more and more carpet, cabinets and bedding in our Skoolies, are we risking fires similar to this? Pay attention to when the propane tanks vent.
This is an excellent point to remember. I have a great deal of wood in the interior of my skoolie and the threat of a fire is always on my mind. It is easy to forget something on the stove. This is why I did not close up or remove my emergency exits...I want people and my dogs and cat to get out in either the front or rear if something should happen. Hope it dosen't, but you need to have a Plan B. I also have two extinguishers, one in the front and one in the back. They may buy a few extra minutes to get out and save a life.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
Quote:
I know we have metal instead of plywood and fiberglass but I have to wonder, as we put more and more carpet, cabinets and bedding in our Skoolies, are we risking fires similar to this? Pay attention to when the propane tanks vent.
This is an excellent point to remember. I have a great deal of wood in the interior of my skoolie and the threat of a fire is always on my mind. It is easy to forget something on the stove. This is why I did not close up or remove my emergency exits...I want people and my dogs and cat to get out in either the front or rear if something should happen. Hope it dosen't, but you need to have a Plan B. I also have two extinguishers, one in the front and one in the back. They may buy a few extra minutes to get out and save a life.
I second this!

If at all possible, keep the emergency exits operational. And to the original point...yes, our skoolies are very flammable. Sure maybe the exterior won't melt down but the inside will be toast. Be careful!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I suggest this get a sticky up top. You can not be too safe. Good info there.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Great Topic... I just reconsidered some plans I had and will include Fire Extinguishers as part of it. I have kept the Exits open for this reason.

Thanks for making me consider it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12202
usmcbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I have bought several of these for hiden areas. Used them on my houseboat and they saved my life when the fuel caught fire.

http://rvcoolingunit.com/SS-30-Halon...-P1873256.aspx
Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

At a recent race (ecors) I was there as a rig caught on fire after a hard roll(trans fluid on header)as we ran up (two folks helping driver out) I went to grab ext. Mounted on back of cage pass side...I pulled the obviuos release pin(studied mount as I was running)...ext wouldn't release...WTF?.....I pulled twice when driver said "its zip tie'd underneath"...I whipped out my knife and cut it off.
He was afraid of "losing" the xt. So he made sure it couldn't "fall" off
So make sure they are visible and easily regonised as releasable with a simple pin pull...I still have to mountmine securly.....I'm using factory plastic mounte which suck azz....atleast I have them.
So make sure you have them and know how to usethem to get out safe.....in the event of a fire*** the ride as long as everyone gets out and is safe
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschlessman
I have bought several of these for hiden areas. Used them on my houseboat and they saved my life when the fuel caught fire.

Chuck

I thought halon was banned. Having a system that you could just pull the pin as you exiting he bus would be a good idea.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #8

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschlessman

Chuck

I thought halon was banned. Having a system that you could just pull the pin as you exiting he bus would be a good idea.
Automatic is nice. Fire could occur in an accident that temporarily disables you or others. I would hate to need to reach a switch that is at one door while I am having to exit through another door due to a collision or roll.

Rich
True.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Skoolie

Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

only production of new halon sources was banned recycled halon is still legal for right now. But you all know the EPA given time they will ban everything to do with halon.Some where I red about critical use or something like that. As far as I'm concerned halon saved my life. There are substitutes for it a little research should find the systems used to replace halon.

Be safe
Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

that halon extinguisher would be awesome for compartments. like gen set, batteries, etc that is out of sight!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
So make sure you have them and know how to usethem to get out safe.....in the event of a fire*** the ride as long as everyone gets out and is safe
That's it in a nutshell bansil!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

Talk to guys in the fire suppression business. The kind that do installations in kitchens, buildings, offroad equipment etc. They should be able to fix you up with an on board fire suppression system. There are various detections systems out there. I am gathering pieces for my bus all the time. I have the back half of my fridge sealed off from the interior and will have a dry chem nozzle there. Also planning to have a seperate system to cover my engine and trans area. Not hard to set up. Best part is the system will activate before you even realize you have a fire. System can use thermal sensors or infrared sensors that actually see the fire or a combination of the two. these systems can be set up to shut off your propane when they activate and/or shutdown your engine etc. Check out some of the bus yards, Ive seen suppression systems on city buses. Im installing it as I go, once my conversion is done, you wont know that there is a system in place. An offroad system would likely make the most sense for a bus, using its own battery power it is toally stand alone from everything else in your bus. By offroad, I mean the type of equipment used offroad like loaders, haul trucks, excavators etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
At a recent race (ecors) I was there as a rig caught on fire after a hard roll(trans fluid on header)as we ran up (two folks helping driver out) I went to grab ext. Mounted on back of cage pass side...I pulled the obviuos release pin(studied mount as I was running)...ext wouldn't release...WTF?.....I pulled twice when driver said "its zip tie'd underneath"...I whipped out my knife and cut it off.
He was afraid of "losing" the xt. So he made sure it couldn't "fall" off
So make sure they are visible and easily regonised as releasable with a simple pin pull...I still have to mountmine securly.....I'm using factory plastic mounte which suck azz....atleast I have them.
When securing an extinguisher to a rollcage, I did so by using the stock holder...it tended to fall off when bumped (which was basically every time I loaded stuff into the damn car), so I glued a decent-sized magnet to the extinguisher. No more falling off, and releases with a simple pull.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Skoolie on fire.. all kids safe.http://youtu.be/iMR0hNkrSTg...

Please share your fire and/or crash preparation and exit plans. On your side and in flames is not the time to start thinking about it.

Rich
Check out this ABC News video about certain Thomas/Freightliner school buses. The "skoolie on fire...all kids safe" YouTube video is one of the buses in question. The fires originate in the electrical system.

My gf doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting through the emergency exit bathroom (rear) window of my Winnie Class C. Because of the layout, an unlikely place to get trapped, but still possible. Since skoolies already have a usable door back there, one might as well keep it, as others here have already mentioned in this topic. That door probably saved lives in the above video.