Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Sleeping in rv in la illegal

I see where they have made sleeping in your car or RV illegal in any residential area of L.A. areas within a block of churches,schools, or daycares are off limits.

Land of the Free? LA Just Criminalized Poverty by Making It Illegal To Sleep In Cars And RVs | Right Wing Videos

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Have you noticed that, in the media, if you live in your $100k RV you are a "full timer" but living in a $10k RV you are "homeless".

Irritates me a bit
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Dosen't really surprise me.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That makes as much sense as counting you as employed if your unemployment benefit runs out.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That makes as much sense as counting you as employed if your unemployment benefit runs out.
I feel you there.
Kinda worried the whole skoolie movement. Its an awesome thing but you know the first bad wreck they will paint us all as driving death traps no matter how safe we are.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Cool

Reading more it looks like you can still park in industrial and commercial zone. I know, I know, ... but at least that.
kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Here's information on where you can park: https://www.lacity.org/for-residents...hicle-dwelling
There is also an option to get a guest one-day (night) permit by mail if needed. I don't see where there is an overall limit on the one-day permits, but I see where you can only apply to 3 in one day. I'm also not sure of the price. Seems like following the maps in the link above would be a better option.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

(Deleting this until I can do more research.)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
Bus Geek

San Diego had a similar law on the books and recently repealed it.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Here in San Diego you can sleep in your car overnight but it’s illegal to park your rv on the street overnight. People still do but you can get ticketed or towed
Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #11

So these links might be helpful to people, but I personally still have some unanswered questions.

Maps to show where you can dwell in your vehicle overnight: https://www.lacity.org/for-residents...hicle-dwelling

About parking an over-sized vehicle overnight. This also defines an over-sized vehicle: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chapterviiitraffic?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$ vid=amlegal:losangeles_ca_mc$anc=JD_80.69.4.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara View Post
So these links might be helpful to people, but I personally still have some unanswered questions.

Maps to show where you can dwell in your vehicle overnight: https://www.lacity.org/for-residents...hicle-dwelling

About parking an over-sized vehicle overnight. This also defines an over-sized vehicle: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chapterviiitraffic?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$ vid=amlegal:losangeles_ca_mc$anc=JD_80.69.4.
Thanks for the link.

A little snip:.

Persons may live in a vehicle:

Daytime Hours – between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. – more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks;

Nighttime Hours – between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. – in non-residentially zoned areas which are more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools or daycare facilities or parks
Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Thanks for the link.

A little snip:.

Persons may live in a vehicle:

Daytime Hours – between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. – more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks;

Nighttime Hours – between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. – in non-residentially zoned areas which are more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools or daycare facilities or parks
Sounds like they don't want pedophiles creeping around schools...

Also who wants to stay IN LA anyway?
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Time to move to Canada folks
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

San Diego just made it illegal again to sleep in your car unless you park in one of two overnight lots. The beach city residents in particular wanted it to be illegal again.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrogirl View Post
San Diego just made it illegal again to sleep in your car unless you park in one of two overnight lots. The beach city residents in particular wanted it to be illegal again.

sounds more like the cops wantthe additional revenue from writing DUI tickets when a person tries to drive off their drunk instead if sleep it off in the back seat
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I saw a story about the issue in the LA area - and it was more about streets lined with people living full-time parked on residential streets - because rent is so expensive, more people are getting cheap RVs to call home on the streets.
It’s similar to people moving into Walmart parking lots full time. They create the ordinance because some people take advantage of situations - I don’t agree or disagree - something needs to be done about the rent issue in LA.
I would not want a residential street lined with RVs - occasional overnights are okay with me - but when the sidewalks become their patios - and they become junk piles... it needs to end.

More designated RV parks in cities for people to live full time would be a nice solution.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sounds more like the cops wantthe additional revenue from writing DUI tickets when a person tries to drive off their drunk instead if sleep it off in the back seat
There are a lot of people living in their vehicles because the rent is high here, just like LA. The beach cities are mostly wealthy and don’t want the unwashed masses wrecking their property values. There was a huge backlash after they made sleeping in vehicles legal so now it’s illegal again.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I saw a story about the issue in the LA area - and it was more about streets lined with people living full-time parked on residential streets - because rent is so expensive, more people are getting cheap RVs to call home on the streets.
It’s similar to people moving into Walmart parking lots full time. They create the ordinance because some people take advantage of situations - I don’t agree or disagree - something needs to be done about the rent issue in LA.
I would not want a residential street lined with RVs - occasional overnights are okay with me - but when the sidewalks become their patios - and they become junk piles... it needs to end.

More designated RV parks in cities for people to live full time would be a nice solution.
we are starting to see similar homeless problems in Canada, but I strongly feel that`s almost entirely the result of drugs and/or mental illness - cities need to be doing more - homeless squatter communities in city parks or private commercial property is not an acceptable answer to the problem, nor are shelters in residential areas - some cities I noticed are creating areas with tiny houses of a couple 100 sq ft each and that seems to be the best solution so far - add to that, ridiculously harsh sentences for drug dealers, help for addicts in facilities that are equipped to deal with addictions and enough of them that addicts don`t have to wait for years to get into one of them, and more help for the people with mental problems I think would go a long way towards solving the problem
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
Bus Geek

A segment of the "vandwellers" that we don't here much about live that lifestyle by choice.

I have run into a number of professional people who see it as a reasonable financial decision. Two of them that I met over in Everett are engineers for Boeing. Both in their early 40's and told me that they were on track to retire at 50.