Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
sliding door?

i am getting closer to working on the bathroom..... and pondering different solutions in my head.

i have 3 walls up for my bath and am considering how to finish the 4th.

here is the bathroom to be:

on the last wall, im going to need a door, and the roof hatch and shower stall kinda make everything harder.
so i've been considering putting up another 3/4" plywood wall with a sliding door here.
sliding hardware like this
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images.../kvm-metro.pdf

any comments on rv usage of sliders?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: sliding door?

We used http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectrum-...680F/100097300 for divider doors as well as the shower stall door (I don't like shower curtains). We changed the handles that came with the doors to small brushed nickel knobs. They take up very little room. It suits us and our needs. They aren't for everyone.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

That hardware looks beautiful, but as it is designed to be surface mounted, it takes up the whole wall that it opens against. Make sure that fits with your floor plan.

Another option would be to find hardware for a "pocket" door panel that slides into a recess between two thin halves of a wall. More work, but more efficient use of space. Saving space is probably the reason Lorna chose the folding "accordion" door, and others choose curtains or tapestries instead of doors.

Whatever solid door you might choose: hinged, sliding, or pocket, be sure you have a latches or straps that will secure it motionless in both the open and closed positions. You don't want the distraction while driving of hearing doors slamming or shifting back and forth as you brake, accelerate, or corner.
Ask me how I know . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2

this hardware appears to fit my opening of 48" to make a 48"side wall with a 24" door.

i considered the pocket door first, but it needed the 48" opening +2" for the mechanism, so 50" wall for 24" door.

the hardware is pricey so i dont want to try it just to see if it works or not. and for an extra $100 or so, you can add the self closing to the mechanism.
not knowing anything about the hardware, i have know clue how well they're gonna work when a bit out of level on an rv. this looked like a higher quality slider than is available at at the local big box. i was thinking.... with the tighter construction, less rattle.....

but i just dont know......

all comments appreciated