Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: SO Bummed out! Bus is dead.....

Quote:
bbbrt76 said
where would one go to get legal? being from the warm south (10f today) and not canadian citizen?
Start here

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/pub..._id=64&lang=en
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Hey Vanguy, I just realized your bus is an international, as is mine and I was given shop manuals with my bus. Im headed to the farm today and will check to see if it covers the DT466 and Allison Tranny. My bus is the 7.3 Litre, (your tranny may not work but I am jealous of your engine!) so I am not sure if your drive train would be included as well. If so, I can photo copy and send you the necessary sections.

Does anyone know if my tranny would be the same as Vanguys? I have paid next to no attention the the transmission yet so I am fairly ignorant.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Stay the course vanguy67 you will roar again. My thoughts are with ya on this one. It sounds like you have found the routes you need. Use it up, wear it out make it do or do without. And yes, phizzy yellow beer is for wussies. Can't say the same for a finely crafted micro-brew. And I only mean the finely crafted sort. No offense intended to Lady Franklin I'm just joshin'. Lady franklin your ride is an inspiration. The support one can get from this site is as well.
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Bus Nut

if the trans started leaking and you knew about it and continued to drive it without fixing the leak, you need to take ownership of the damaged trans. It's like having a coolant hose blow and continueing to drive until the engine overheats and fails and then saying that the guy that sold you the bus is responsible for your decision not to make a timely repair.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Maybe it's just me......If I was a bus dealer with 30 years of experience and 3 locations, and a guy who was nearly homeless bought a bus from me with most of the money he had (and I knew it) I think I would try to find the poor sap a used MT643 for as little money as possible.....but that's just me.
Thats how I'd do it. Any reputable person would at least see what they could do along the lines of what you've asked.... instead of mouthing off about you to others. It's not the thousands of successful transactions that define a seller... it's how he handles the few that go wrong for whatever reason.

"As-Is" is a legal thing.... It might square you away with the law but it doesn't set aside any moral obligations you put upon yourself. As for me, I prefer doing business with people who are motivated to do right by their own morals, not just what they can get away with by law.

This being the case I'd hope that the seller does come through for you with a decent transmission at a fair price, in an attempt to make this right. If he doesn't, I'd like to know his name. After all, if it's fair for people to mention his name when they're happy with him it's also fair to mention his name when you're not happy.

-Ray
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Bus Geek

don't be afraid to comb the junk yards (auto recycling centers) They used allison auto's in many applications from dump trucks to garbage trucks. don't feel you have to limit yourself to an auto trans either. There are prob way more heavy manual transmissions out there. Junk yard guy offered me a 13 speed eaton out of a big truck for like 200 bucks. A hydraulic clutch would be easy enough to mount.

also might not hurt to be able to recognize an allison mt643 from an at545. They are visually different, but i don't know which one is which. I think elliot posted photos of the two of them and their physical differences a while back.

Wonder what a ton of steel is going for these days? Prob less than $100/ton.

It might be a cheaper option to scrap this bus, and buy a new one for the price of a rebuilt trans. There are plenty of nice reliable buses out there for under $2K.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek

found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

I'm no expert, and this may not be all you need to know.
But here are photos of the two most common Allison automatic transmissions in
older school buses. The side mounting pads may be a good clue. On my buses
they were not used and easy to see.

Here we go:

AT545. Note simple mounting pad with two holes above each other near the front.
Nothing on oil pan.

MT643. Note complex mounting pad with four mounting holes.
Temperature sender on oil pan.

The MT643 is the one to have. It is stronger and the converter locks in 3rd and 4th.

(Edited with this additional info):

AT545 -- max 235 HP, 445 lb ft, 30.000 Lbs GVWR; no lockup, SAE 3 bolt pattern.

MT643 -- max 250 HP, 640 lb ft, 73.280 Lbs GVWR; locks in 3rd and 4th, SAE 2 bolt pattern.

More info here: http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/onhiway.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

google allison transmissions there is a site can't exactly remember but something like allisonman? find that site & ask him about your problem, or call an allison dealer near you, like somebody posted it could be something simple that may not cost as much as a complete re-build, sorry to hear of your problems
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Bus Geek

a vanguy, do you have a paypal account? I want to send ya a few bucks. I got myself in an expensive bind with my bus one time, and several people from the skoolie community helped me out. I have been looking for an opportunity to repay my gratitude.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Lady Franklin:
I know it's cold there....take a pencil (a pen won't work at -54 F) and write the info down.
That is info i HOPE never to NEED to know. it is 20 f here now and I was complaining about taking the dog out...at -54 he is on his own
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote