Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: SO Bummed out! Bus is dead.....

I can feel the weight releasing from your shoulders. SOO glad to hear things are looking up. I only wish I had storage for mine. Good luck with your endeavors and future achievments vanguy67. P.s Do you or did you have some kind of 67 van or something? If so what was/is it? I love vehicles from that era.

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

I used to own a 61' econoline as well as a 62'. The snub nosed type if ya' know what I mean. Absolutely hated to get rid of them but you do what you got to do right. My 61' was pretty customed out what with a 302 out to a 306 and duel holly racing headers and all. I did tons more to it as well. I dig the econoline series. Also had a f-100 that was on its way to becoming sweet when I realized it was a hit and run victim at a wall-mart. They smashed into and drug down the entire left side pretty much destroying all the body work. Bent the frame. I'd love to get into an early sixties van for restoration some day time permitting. Very cool the way you stepped up and made things right for people getting taken advantage of. If more of us could find the time to be less selfish things would be better for the all of us. skool on vanguy67
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
...I have a simple philosophy: Any day above ground is a GOOD day.....and tomorrow might be better!
Agreed!
I figure if my eyes open in the morning, I'm off to a pretty good start!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Ok so it took me a long time to do this and I apologize, I have excuses but you don't want to hear all of them. OK so attached is the title page out of the manual I have for the transmission. I don't know what transmissions are covered with the codes 13 MAG and 13 MAH but maybe someone here knows? Anyway maybe its too little too late but I thought I would let you have a look. If you want the literature I can copy anything you need and send it to you, just need your address, so e-mail me your info should you decide that this is compatible to your tranny. Glad to hear things are getting better for you too.

Sorry its sideways should have done it in photoshop I guess...
Attached Thumbnails
Tranny book.jpg  
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

What transmission information are you looking for exactly? Allison has a ton of literature available on their website.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #46
Bus Nut

to remove and install a mt643 is the same as any other trans except that it is bigger and heavier, rent or borrow a large trans jack that is designed for truck transmissions, and make sure to secure the trans to the jack so it doesn't jump off and damage itself or you.
generically speaking most medium duty chassis are designed so that the trans hangs off of the rear engine mount/bellhousing, theirfore no rear transmount/crossmember to deal with, block the tires, disconnect the neg battery cables at the battery, unplug the wires at the trans, drain the fluid, remove the fill/dipstick tube and speedometer cable or wiresand disconnect the shift linkage, remove the inspection cover for the torque converter and remove the converter to flywheel bolts, pry the converter away from the flywheel and against the trans, you will have to manually bar the engine over to get to all of the bolts, you may have to remove the starter for access. disconnect the driveshaft from the trans, pry it back and tie it to the frame rail up out of the way. put a wrench on all of the trans to bellhousing bolts and break them loose,DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLTS, position the trans jack and secure the jack to the trans, with either a chain or strap, now remove the bellhousing bolts,carefully pull the trans away from the engine until the converter clears the bellhousing and then lower it to the ground. slide the converter forward off of the trans front pump and splines. unstrap the trans.
load the trans converter and rental jack and deliver them to the appropriate places for repair.

to install trans reverse order of disassembly.

talk to your rebuilder about proper prestart adjustments and fill instructions, you may alsowant to have the trans shop install the converter onto the trans and safty wire it to the trans so that it's installed properly into the seal and the front pump is engaged on the splines, you can cut and remove the wires at the last possible opportunity when you have the trans lined up with the bellhousing and their is just enough room to cut the wires spin the converter to pull them out of the way, after the trans is secure to the bellhousing , spin the converter and fish the wires thru the access hole before you install the converter bolts.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #47
Bus Nut

same process just bigger pieces and parts, concentrate on not scewing up yourself and the trans will come out just fine,
it is highly advisable to have a helper when you actually remove and install the trans to help with alignment balance and lifting the heavy assemblies.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

When you are installing get two bolts about 3 or 4 inches longer than the bolts that fasten the trans to the motor and cut off the heads. Put these in two places on your motor finger tight. They act as guide pins when you are close and help getting those first bolts started. I had to struggle to add anything because Mr. Iossi's post is spot on.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Mr. Vanguy, I read all of the post in this one. Did the man ever do anything to help you? I can't believe he didn't do anything to help you out? I'm looking at a bus that a Matthew Archambault is selling. He sounds like a nice guy and very smart about buses. I can't believe he didn't do anything to help you from the way he has answered my questions. I don't want to make an expensive mistake though. Our church supports a scout troop but we don't have money to throw away.
JesuitLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Mr. Vanguy, I received a reply from Matthew Archambault about your purchase of a bus from his company. I would like to send it to you but it is long and I don't think I could post it here. I wasn't sure if this guy was honest after reading all of the posts here but, after reading this email, I won't be buying a bus from him. Please send me your email address so I can forward the email to you.

Also, did he offer you a replacement torque converter as he claims? If so, why did you refuse it?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #51
Bus Nut

alignment pins are nice, if you use them make msure mthat iou screw them into the bolt holes completely to protect the threads from being damaged by the weight of the transmission while you are trying to get it into position. also make sure that the conerter doesn't get bound up, it should spin freely and have clearance to move in and out easily.

ps, mr is for someone that wears a necktie and I don't fit that image.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #52
Skoolie

Quote:
Vanguy said
Franklin,

Thanks for taking the time. Unfortunately, the manual you have appears to refer to a Spicer manual transmission.
Just goes to show you just how amazing of a mechanic I am!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #53
Skoolie

Of course you understand I am being very, very, facetious.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

vanguy67, Thanks for the PM and the helpful advice. I received another long e-mail from Mr. Archambault. I think your willingness to tell others about your bad experience has really ticked him off. The e-mail is long but he said this in it --

Quote:
This is NOT a used car we are dicussing. It is a school bus with an engine that is worth $4500 NOT RUNNING, and one that sells for over $11,000 rebuilt. The transmission has a $2650 core value. There is also a perfect differential. A driveshaft off that bus is worth $1000, and there are three! The bus has 6 perfectly good tires worth at least $200 each. The scrap value on the body is about $1200, right now, and was over $2000 last summer.
If you have the space why haven't you just sold the individual parts and bought another bus? I'm a novice but it looks like your bus is worth a lot more in parts than what you gave for it??

Thanks again for your advice. I've found another bus on craigs list (cheaper too!) and think we will probably buy it instead of taking a chance on this guy. Like you said- it's $1500 less and has the same warranty as the $4000 bus from Mr. Archambault.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #55
Bus Nut

No kidding, this guy's nuts! Where is he getting these prices from? a dealer? That's not what used parts are worth, if they are, we're all sitting on $20,000+ rigs. I'll make him a hell of a deal on my bus, only $15,000 bucks hahaha

hey vanguy, did you look into that trans in Texas? that sounds like a great deal, heck buy em both and sell the other one for $5,000 to Greg hahaha
Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

nice call by cheesewagon vanguy we all knew who sold the bus to you but now you have called him out that is a good thing cause you do not want what happened to you happening again i would love to see the email jesuit received. be well all skoolies
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Mr. Timbuk,

Happy to oblige. Sent you a private email.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

rusty around the edges cheese wagon? its called tell it like it is! taillight warranty applies longer when they are on!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

...i like the WTF one also by bender
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Mr. Timbuk,

I sent you all of the emails between myself and both Mr. Archambault and his son. Pour yourself a Coke. They will take a while to read. The bottom line as I saw it is that they didn't offer vanguy anything much. They just kept repeating how honorable they are.

I'm an old man but it has been my experience that, if someone has to tell you they're honorable, they're usually not.