Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: SO Bummed out! Bus is dead.....

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

reminds me of the well known saying....Cant Understand Normal Thinking........
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #83
Bus Nut

any luck on that bluebird?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #84
Bus Crazy

[quote="CHEESE_WAGON"

BTW -- I finally got around to creating my avatar... whatcha think? [/quote]hell ya! your a rebel cheese
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #85
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
It got a little warmer today and the pavement was dry. I crawled under Carpy to investigate removing the transmission and found something I think is odd. There is a 1" hose coming out of a port on the driver's side of the transmission. It is looped under the transmission and goes into a port on the other side of the transmission. The hose is 4" off of the ground. Does anyone know what this hose is supposed to be for? is it supposed to be routed like that?
Maybe those are cooler lines supposed to go to the radiator but doubled back on itself? If so it would explain your tranny dying like it did. Can you get us pics?

-Ray
Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #86
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Ok bender477. Your a genius. I don't know why I didn't think of that recently when the tranny on my Windstar van went out. I bought another vehicle for almost the same price they wanted to repair the other one for. The guy one ebay didnt put a reserve on hiis listing and fell short of his exected $3500 with my sale price of $1875 on a 2000 Pontiac Montana with a KBB valus of $5995. In a few weeks my tax check will be direct deposited and I will be in search of a bus. I think I will locate a school between now and then and bring it to them for the once over. When I attended culinary school, we had a fine dinning restaurant on the property and served the public. I don't know why I didn't think about it myself.

THANKS!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #87
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

You know its not original if the the song goes... "The wheels on the bus go round and round"!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #88
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

I hate that you had to sell your Carpy, Vanguy. But I guess it's better to love and lost than never loved at all. Hey could have been worse.you could have gotten it all rigged up be on the road and then the tranny takes a dump. I've got a 545 aiice-sun tranny in my schoolie. Its got me worried from what Iv'e heard they seem to be weak,I'm thinking about converting to standard four speed gear box with a two speed rear end. I want too pull a trailer and climb mountains. I hope you find a good bus and that your wife has a speedy recovery. My prayers will be with you. Russell :
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Weak is a relative term. Have you ever climbed under your bus and looked at the transmission? The AT545 might be the smallest transmission Allison made for MDT applications, but rest assured...it dwarfs all the "big" transmissions considered bulletproof by auto manufacturers like the TF727, 47RH, C6, 4R100, TH400, TH475, 4L80/85E, 6L90E, etc.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

I'd actually put the TH-475 and the AT545 on about the same level...in fact, some people build extreme-towing-duty 475's using AT545 torque converters. It's durable, but not especially strong and terribly inefficient, with its non-lockup converter.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

She's right to be proud! Those do look great. Keep up the good work.

So... now that you've gotten rid of the Carp, are you going to change the name of the posting? Something like... Vanguy Rides Again?
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

OK..so now I've READ the whole post from beginning to end and NOW I know why I need to get a fluid analysis! Must've taken me 45mins to read all of that.. I thank You and your wife for leaving just right where it is so that I could find it. And now, i also know why you were having a canary when I was talking about 'our' bus leaking, and overheating..etcetc. We are 7 days and counting for us going up there. We have a contact who's hopefully going to check it out for us. If that doesn't pan out, then we're making a day trip..sampling some fluid and doing it ourselves. We can take the bus or not based on what we see..but we've decided to not send any money or pay for anything til we're reasonably sure we can ourselves home. Thanks Kevin...for everything! Oh, and the cabinet and floor looks great!
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote