Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I'm a hard core member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals.
AHAHAHAHHAHA
Believe me, i used to eat tons of animal protein!
It started with removing preserved meats, then red meat. Before you know it, I'm eating legumes and oats lol
But I'm back enjoying a steak here and there.
I grill a mean churrasco 😉

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I always just left the grate on the grill with the lid off and the fire would continue to burn out and a quick wire brush next time I use it and the grill is fine.. plus the fire when I start the grill till the coals get hot..i never knew i should be chemically cleaning it.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I always just left the grate on the grill with the lid off and the fire would continue to burn out and a quick wire brush next time I use it and the grill is fine.. plus the fire when I start the grill till the coals get hot..i never knew i should be chemically cleaning it.

-Christopher
I use that degreaser because I do it outside with the hose. Otherwise I'd take the whole grill inside disassemble it, hot water and soap soak....when I use the cleaner, I soak it after, air dry, then turn on the fire (it's a gpl grill) and let it burn.
It's ok tu just use fire, but you need to REALLY brush every corner.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
I use that degreaser because I do it outside with the hose. Otherwise I'd take the whole grill inside disassemble it, hot water and soap soak....when I use the cleaner, I soak it after, air dry, then turn on the fire (it's a gpl grill) and let it burn.
It's ok tu just use fire, but you need to REALLY brush every corner.

thank god my grill is round.. no corners to brush :P
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Exclamation OP gonna get mad...

OK OK OK someone is gonna get mad at us for talking about grilling and food for so long!

The only surface prep i did to my bus was spray ospho where needed, sand the little filler here and there, let the rain wash it away, roll on exterior primer, then exterior paint.

When (not if) it starts peeling/flaking/getting ugly, i'll touch it up.
MAYBE in a distant future i'll put in some money to have a body shop do it properly. For now, it was about covering the yellow.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You know the difference between a $5k paint job on a bus and a $200 paint job? With the $200 paint job we have a lot of touch up paint leftover, and yes we'll need it sometime. It would be nice if we could all have our dream paint job, but if we're talking about dreams my bus would fly like a Chinook helicopter without loosing any interior space.

On the barbeque issue, I burn the junk off until it brushes away with a wire brush and avoid using harsh (I assume) chemicals on a food surface.

Granny said the way to clean a frying pan (cast iron) was to put it in a fire and get it red hot. Apparently doing that will even cause lead residue to offgas during the process. Most of the grills are made of cast iron now. A lot of that black stuff on the grill is actually flavor.
Not to be offensive, but honestly you guys don't worry about using chemicals like that?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You know the difference between a $5k paint job on a bus and a $200 paint job? With the $200 paint job we have a lot of touch up paint leftover, and yes we'll need it sometime. It would be nice if we could all have our dream paint job, but if we're talking about dreams my bus would fly like a Chinook helicopter without loosing any interior space.

On the barbeque issue, I burn the junk off until it brushes away with a wire brush and avoid using harsh (I assume) chemicals on a food surface.

Granny said the way to clean a frying pan (cast iron) was to put it in a fire and get it red hot. Apparently doing that will even cause lead residue to offgas during the process. Most of the grills are made of cast iron now. A lot of that black stuff on the grill is actually flavor.
Not to be offensive, but honestly you guys don't worry about using chemicals like that?
Well...my $200 paint job does not look anything remotely close to something shiny new.... but that's just poor prepping (0 prepping actually lol)
On the grill stuff, That's why I soak it with water first, then heat it up afterwards ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

Old 05-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I think I'll try to find some Euclid green or something striking looking like that.

This time I'm actually trying not to paint over any mud or clumps of grease. I'm not going to do as much prep as I did on that power wagon years ago. I also want to insulate underneath so I'm thinking some of that chemical paint etcher might help break up any clingers underneath to prep for insulation.
I read on one site that it is necessary to cap the underside of exterior insulation with a water barrier such as a bedliner spray. Learnt that yestyday.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #69

cool jeep!!

Cool jeep,!!!!
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote