Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Solar Panels and Inverters

Where is everyone getting their solar panels and inverters from? I am wanting to get as good of a deal as possible, but I want to buy new equipment. Any thoughts?

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
I will be going with a kit from Go Power Amazon.com: Go Power! (GP-FLEX-200) 200W Flexible Mono Crystalline Solar Kit with 30 Amp PWM Solar Controller: Automotive also will be adding a 3rd panel as well.

Going to stay with the go power for the inverter most likely as well. Go Power! GP-SW3000-12 3000-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I'll start with 4, but expand to 8 of the GS100 panels from AMSolar. Not to be confused with other panels using a similar model number.

40.8"x20.7" = 844.59sqin, 17.7v, 5.7a = 100.89w: .1194w/sqin $280
which is the most per sqin I've seen so far. 14.5 pounds each

Of course, that's theoretical wattage in lab conditions, but 80% of the most is more than 80% of any other.

I thought for a long time about putting in the flex panels, but since I plan on hanging out in the northern US for a majority of the time, I need the ability to tilt the panels.

I'll need a charge controller outside of the range what GoPower provides, but will be using their 3000W pure sine inverter for sure.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
i have renogy panels and chrge controler. 1000w inverter from autozone. been working 9 months. no complaints and great customer sevice from renogy.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Bus Nut

What is your goal? A solar system is really something that needs to built for what you need and isn't a one size fits all solution. Are you going to be mobile or stationary? How many KWH do you need in a day? Are you trying to build the solar system yourself? Do you want a package or buy everything a la carte? The MOST expensive part of the system is the battery bank, what kind of batteries do you want? Keep in mind if you have 20,000W of solar panels and 100Ah of batteries you still won't be able to run a microwave for very long. What kind of inverter are you looking for? Are you after flexible panels or rigid. Do you want lots of small panels or a few big ones.

No one wants a bad deal (or no one sets out to get a bad deal). Help us help you, to give you the best answer we need more info. I would suggest you make a list of what you are after then shoot some shops some emails to see if they would give you a deal if you purchased multiple things through them. If you want a simple system, amazon is probably the best online or a trailer/rv show IRL. If you want to go a la carte keep tabs on shipping charges that can really eat up any savings on individual parts.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote