Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
With 40 police officers already quit this yr and only 1 conviction for murder last yr and with all the murders last yr I think they might put some of their money some place else, like that 2 million $ water fountain on the levy that they built a while back. But good luck on the house I did shed many tears watching the floods and watching the local gov screw things up. just my 2 cents
Building a viable economy is the surest way to remedy crime. If the film industry can be a part of that, let it come.

Of course I've always been of the opinion that there is too much hysteria over crime in this country. Any is too much, but I don't think people really assess the statistics in a sober fashion. Your chances of getting murdered, even in the worst neighborhood, are slim. Much less so if you are not involved in the drug trade. I lived in an impoverished neighborhood, & I was well aware of the sorts of things that went down there, but I really wasn't too terribly perturbed by all of it.

As far as finding fault with government, certainly the state & city governments were clueless. But don't think for a second that the federal response was anything to crow over, & don't forget the ultimate responsibility for the integrity of the levees rests with the Army Corps of Engineers. There is a mountain of evidence that the Corps was criminally negligent in designing & constructing the levees. The entire tragedy could have been averted if the levees had performed as they were supposed to. Check out if you're interested in a factaul treatment of this largely man-made disaster.

And one should bear in mind that for the cost of one single month of the war in Iraq the levees could already have been rebuilt to Category 5 rating (they're only 3 now), in order to protect the second largest port in the United States & the city that supports it, surely a national security issue if ever there was one. But I don't suppose that's where our national priorities lie.

But I'm definitely excited to be going back in my bus, which I got up here in Montana.

1986 Ford E350/Thomas Minotour
PlantDrive TTVTM SVO conversion
rhclayto is offline   Reply With Quote