Old 04-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Spray foam insulation on walls, ceiling, and floor?

I'm looking at building a skoolie for full-time living in an RV park. I've ended up in the hospital from black mold in crappy apartments enough for this lifetime, and if I have to build my own, so be it!

Blown in closed cell foam (image link) looks like the right solution - it's stable, the R-value is high, it cuts noise, and - best of all - it's mildew resistant. DIY friendly, too. But I've never worked with the stuff, and am concerned about trapping moisture in a fashion that'd just make more mold and rust through the floor. The loss of headroom is worrying, too - regardless of bus, I don't really have the resources for a roof lift.

This bus will likely end up in the Southwest in 120F heat, and insulation is a big deal. Can anyone suggest how best to tackle this problem?
Jshaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshaul View Post
I'm looking at building a skoolie for full-time living in an RV park. I've ended up in the hospital from black mold in crappy apartments enough for this lifetime, and if I have to build my own, so be it!

Blown in closed cell foam (image link) looks like the right solution - it's stable, the R-value is high, it cuts noise, and - best of all - it's mildew resistant. DIY friendly, too. But I've never worked with the stuff, and am concerned about trapping moisture in a fashion that'd just make more mold and rust through the floor. The loss of headroom is worrying, too - regardless of bus, I don't really have the resources for a roof lift.

This bus will likely end up in the Southwest in 120F heat, and insulation is a big deal. Can anyone suggest how best to tackle this problem?
Green foam is I think the spray foam that I plan to use for the walls and ceiling but I am going with rigid for the floor because it seems a lot easier. You have to cut off the overspray which has got to be easier with the ribs as a guide. The floor has no ribs.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Depends how tall you are man, I'm 6'4" I can't insulate without a roof raise even in a high roof bus but a guy 5'2" no prob

You could always spray a bedliner type product over your insulation to seal it, but it seems like over kill.

Keep the humidity down inside mold doesn't grow dry
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Depends how tall you are man, I'm 6'4" I can't insulate without a roof raise even in a high roof bus but a guy 5'2" no prob

You could always spray a bedliner type product over your insulation to seal it, but it seems like over kill.

Keep the humidity down inside mold doesn't grow dry
Closed-cell foam is already sealed.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I've been calling around for estimates on spray foam and have been hearing much higher prices than I was expecting.... First estimate I got was $1500 for ceiling and walls (not including windows).
Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI 96A3
Engine: DD 8V92TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I've been calling around for estimates on spray foam and have been hearing much higher prices than I was expecting.... First estimate I got was $1500 for ceiling and walls (not including windows).
brokedown,
The guy that did my bus last year did an outstanding job, at half the price anyone else quoted, and operates out of St Petersburg, FL

Peter
peterbylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbylt View Post
brokedown,
The guy that did my bus last year did an outstanding job, at half the price anyone else quoted, and operates out of St Petersburg, FL

Peter
And that price was?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I remember your post about it, unfortunately there is no way I can get the bus to St Pete at this stage of the conversion! But your experience is what I'm comparing against.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
I'm 6' flat, so I could get away with some of the taller buses without doing a lift. The extra space would be nice, but I'm already at the limit of my mechanical ability. If I can find one with a lift for sale, I might buy it, but I'm not optimistic with my ~$5,000 budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Closed-cell foam is already sealed.
Yes, but the area over and around it? Homes usually breathe a lot better than cars, and I'm petrified of condensation collecting under the floor. I don't really understand home construction very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I've been calling around for estimates on spray foam and have been hearing much higher prices than I was expecting....
You can get DIY kits starting at $650. (I would say "How hard could it be?", but that always jinxes things...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbylt View Post
]The guy that did my bus last year did an outstanding job, at half the price anyone else quoted, and operates out of St Petersburg, FL
That is friggin' gorgeous.

Out of curiosity, how would you feel about living in your bus in Las Vegas, NV in July?
Jshaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshaul View Post
Yes, but the area over and around it? Homes usually breathe a lot better than cars, and I'm petrified of condensation collecting under the floor. I don't really understand home construction very well.

You can get DIY kits starting at $650. (I would say "How hard could it be?", but that always jinxes things...)
The temperature of a surface relative to the temperature of a room will not be affected simply by trying to seal the foam. You have to address the issue with ventilation. having done your best to insulate and eliminate thermal bridges.

Condensation won't collect under the floor but it will collect on windows and any parts substantially colder than warm, moisture-laden air.

You will need at least two of those kits to insulate any decent sized bus. The DIT route doesn't save a great deal of money. It is cheaper, but you have to do all the work yourself and it still works out about twice the cost of foam-board. If you fit the board correctly, and seal the edges well, it will perform almost as well as spray-foam. Spray foam is superior, but at a price and the cost-benefit might be not be enough for you to commit the funds.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote