Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Spray foam: Thermal barriers & Intumescent coatings

Anyone out there using spray foam adhering to building code recommendations for a 15-minute thermal barrier? I was unaware of this until last night's reading, but it sure seems to make sense. Can't see drywall as very practical in our bus build, but I'm strongly considering adding an 'intumescent coating' - basically special paint - to achieve the ends of a thermal barrier when we do foam. For reference:

https://www.sprayfoam.com/content/fa...-officials-/55

https://www.painttoprotect.com/firep...ng-for-canada/

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Interesting reads. I got our walls and roof spray foamed. I also installed clear lenses on our flasher/warning lamps, with hopes to use them in the future when I get them wired back up.

What are folks opinions on spray foam directly surrounding the internal dome of the warming lamps? I assume they get pretty hot. Should I cut the foam out around the fixture?

Also I have never heard of the phrase “intumescent”. The paint option seams reasonable, I may go that route as well.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: International t444e 7.3l
I'm looking into aerogel blanket as thermal barriers wherever I need a mechanical connection to the ribs of the body. Holds up well to compression and has the best known R-value
xturgorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Anyone out there using spray foam adhering to building code recommendations for a 15-minute thermal barrier? I was unaware of this until last night's reading, but it sure seems to make sense. [/URL]
It's odd to think that there would be a need to insulate your insulation, but most likely (since the article also mentions ignition barriers) the thermal barrier in this case would be to protect the insulation for a short period of time from the high heat generated by a fire (so that it doesn't start burning and generating toxic gases).

In the case of a tiny bus, this isn't really important because you would already be crispy fried chicken by the time a thermal barrier would make any difference.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It's odd to think that there would be a need to insulate your insulation, but most likely (since the article also mentions ignition barriers) the thermal barrier in this case would be to protect the insulation for a short period of time from the high heat generated by a fire (so that it doesn't start burning and generating toxic gases).

In the case of a tiny bus, this isn't really important because you would already be crispy fried chicken by the time a thermal barrier would make any difference.
I understand what you're saying. And in the likely majority of situations where heat or direct exposure to spark or flames could cause the foam to catch, I imagine the situation may be as you describe. But I can also envision other circumstances where an otherwise controllable fire, or spot heat source, could ignite and/or cause the foam to gas off, turning something slow & controllable into something fast and not in a quick hurry. This is conjecture - I admit having a limited understanding of foam technology or the variables associated with it - but to my way of thinking that's all the more reason to consider adhering to code standards.

If nothing else, it could help make the job less hazardous for fire fighting peeps forced to deal with it, and/or others in the vicinity of your really bad day.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I understand what you're saying. And in the likely majority of situations where heat or direct exposure to spark or flames could cause the foam to catch, I imagine the situation may be as you describe. But I can also envision other circumstances where an otherwise controllable fire, or spot heat source, could ignite and/or cause the foam to gas off, turning something slow & controllable into something fast and not in a quick hurry. This is conjecture - I admit having a limited understanding of foam technology or the variables associated with it - but to my way of thinking that's all the more reason to consider adhering to code standards.

If nothing else, it could help make the job less hazardous for fire fighting peeps forced to deal with it, and/or others in the vicinity of your really bad day.
I'm certainly not going to fault someone for adhering to code standards - unless it's the Comics Code Authority. That stuff was bullcrap.