Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustExistence View Post
Reviving this because I like the information here so far but would love to hear more opinions.

When choosing the foam board route, what have some of you done to get it sealed enough to not trap "sweat" in between the roof and board?

The spray foam is pricy, I would likely hire someone if I were to choose the way, but I'm still going back and forth so much.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/in...ons-23588.html

Check this thread out for another option.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Build
Chassis: International
Engine: 466E
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/in...ons-23588.html

Check this thread out for another option.
Thank you so much!
WanderlustExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 42
Old video but worth watching

I have been thinking about insulation a lot. I wish their were better/cheaper options and have had this nagging notion that I should fork the money out and spray foam. I'm not say the situations in this video always happen but it's worth thinking about. Like other people have said it sounds like if you spray it too thick and don't let it cure correctly, things can go bad. I watched a few videos on installation and its kind of like a 2 part epoxy, in that, if you have a bad ratio then your foam might never properly cure. I would at least test it out on something outside of the bus and then go from there. My bus came with foam underneath and it doesnt give off any odors and I don't see any issues with mold. But....

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
I have been thinking about insulation a lot. I wish their were better/cheaper options and have had this nagging notion that I should fork the money out and spray foam. I'm not say the situations in this video always happen but it's worth thinking about. Like other people have said it sounds like if you spray it too thick and don't let it cure correctly, things can go bad. I watched a few videos on installation and its kind of like a 2 part epoxy, in that, if you have a bad ratio then your foam might never properly cure. I would at least test it out on something outside of the bus and then go from there. My bus came with foam underneath and it doesnt give off any odors and I don't see any issues with mold. But....

I don't think that's as big a problem as it was years ago. And in a bus you'll likely only have a couple inches of it so it should cure a lot better than spraying it thick in an attic.
Foam board is still a nice alternative. IF I do any insulation it will most likely be foam board.

Nice to see ya back on here and I was glad to hear from you the other day.
Hows the bus?
Is your bus out in Maitland or Sanford parked by some van dwellers? If so I saw it the other day.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Well folks this happened today on a major hwy here.

A transport loaded with some type of foam board insulation caught fire and burnt to the ground, all of it. Haven't found out yet what kind of foam board.
Closed the hwy westbound into Toronto and started many grassfires because of no snow cover.
So what is type of insulation is safe anymore? If that went up that quick it must have smoldered a lengthy time before burning up at hwy speed.

Insulation underneath the floor can do the same thing and makes maintenance a real pain. Think twice before doing that.

John
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
foam vs fiber glass

https://www.thespruce.com/fiberglass...lation-3860844
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I paid a professional to spray foam my bus. It does it's job, but If I could do it again I'd install XPS foam for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think that's as big a problem as it was years ago. And in a bus you'll likely only have a couple inches of it so it should cure a lot better than spraying it thick in an attic.
Foam board is still a nice alternative. IF I do any insulation it will most likely be foam board.

Nice to see ya back on here and I was glad to hear from you the other day.
Hows the bus?
Is your bus out in Maitland or Sanford parked by some van dwellers? If so I saw it the other day.
years ago I built a small office area into my cube van - fortunately I drove the van while the styrofoam had been partly installed because the squeaking drove me nuts - after the fact, as I have done too often in my life, I found that was a common problem and that fiberglass insulation was a better solution - 'had that van on the road for years, driving it most days of the week, and was very satisfied with the results - has anyone on this forum used fiberglass insulation in their bus conversion? - a little story about my brief involvement with spray insulation - when the product was first introduced, I was asked to spray foam the walls and ceilings of a nightclub that was being installed under a bowling alley - to me it sounded like a good solution to the noise problem coming from the bowling alley, so I went ahead and checked it out - the manufacturer claimed it was fireproof among other claims, but when I tried to get it approved by the fire marshall, he wouldn't believe that spray foam was fire resistant and wouldn't approve it's installation - I had to come up with another solution for the noise problem and forget for a while the purchase of the equipment needed to spray foam ( at the time spray foam was becoming popular as a roofing product, so buying the equipment was still in my mind ) - not too long after finishing the night club project, cases of spray foam insulation problems were starting to show up - it's true that it doesn't burn exactly, but when heated to a certain point it gives off explosive gasses - after that discovery, houses started showing up with improperly installed spray foam insulation that were giving off gasses as shown in the video, then more and more houses were having problems, to the point that the Canadian government ordered the removal of spray foam from all houses - I count my blessings that the heavy drinking, crotchety, soon to retire firechief had the intuition to turn down the application of spray foam in the night club that resulted in my non-involvement in the spray foam industry
Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It's all about "R" value and inch for inch, properly applied spray foam heads the list with foam board somewhat behind it and fiberglass insulation a distant third. One of the problems with fiberglass is that it can't be packed in. It requires a huge volume of trapped air if it is going to work at all--thereby using up valuable interior space.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

if I read the article correctly, fiberglass has the higher R factor ???
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Only if it is installed properly--it must "puff up" or it has no trapped air and hence no "R" value. And there goes all that space.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

I agree - any insulation needs to be installed properly to work properly
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #33
Bus Geek

You need to consider not just R, but R per inch. Fiberglass rolls sound pretty good, you can find R19 all day long at Home Depot. But that R19 is for a 6.5 inch space, so it's only around R3 per inch. . Check out page 2 of this pdf: https://images.homedepot-static.com/...f3d5f80568.pdf

By comparison, XPS foam board is around R5 per inch and closed cell spray foam is around R5.5 per inch.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
You need to consider not just R, but R per inch. Fiberglass rolls sound pretty good, you can find R19 all day long at Home Depot. But that R19 is for a 6.5 inch space, so it's only around R3 per inch. . Check out page 2 of this pdf: https://images.homedepot-static.com/...f3d5f80568.pdf

By comparison, XPS foam board is around R5 per inch and closed cell spray foam is around R5.5 per inch.
Good point regarding the fiberglass insulation.

I have seen several people stuff R19 fiberglass into a1.5"-2" space and think that they are getting R19. Not so. Unless you have 5.5" ....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

interesting - strange how different sources have different conclusions - the link I posted claims, 'Fiberglass insulation packs in more R-value per cubic inch than does rigid foam insulation.'
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Indeed that's a strange claim to make that is completely unsupported by the surrounding article.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

I agree with that
Old 01-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
if I read the article correctly, fiberglass has the higher R factor ???
Nah, man. That's not right.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
We used the open face and I have no issues. We have a 50 degree difference in my bus today.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0370 (1).jpg  
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Combination

I am using Polyiso foam board 1.5" thick to cover most of the walls, its $7 per 4x8 sheet and then Im going to spray closed cell foam on top of that to fill in the areas I couldnt get foam board to cover.

they are both the same type of insulation, I get the factory seconds of the board way cheaper that the spray foam kits. I need to cover a significatnt amount and didnt want to pay for 2 kits at 650 a pop.

for 100 bucks I can get a bunch of board to take up the majority of the volume.

Look at the walls in the pictures, the white squares are the foam board glued to the window areas.
Attached Thumbnails
20181014_185348_resized.jpg  
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote