Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Staining Luan Panels

Has anyone had any luck staining luan? I have not been able to find alot of information for proper prep since most people dont use this as a finish grade wood. I would like a darker look like a mahogany. Do you need a conditioner, filler, tinted toner etc? Would using a dye stain followed by a sealer then a wiping stain help achieve an even stain without using a conditioner or filler?

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Staining Luan Panels

I did almost exactly as Vanguy said. Sanded with 120 then followed up with 220, wiped everything off, wood conditioner then polyshades bombay mahogany in one area and old maple (think it is discontinued) in another. It seemed to me that the old maple was easier to maintain consistency and was a little more forgiving. About the only thing I can add to what has been said is if you stain it in place be sure to clean up every spec of dirt on the floor or walls that your brush may come in contact with. If not it will be in the finish and with a gloss it will be very apparant. At the very least stain any trim pieces before putting them up too, pine is a pain in the butt to get good color into as you can see in the one picture.

The Old Maple (gloss)

Bombay Mahogany (gloss)
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote