Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #1

Thumbs up Starting a tailgate bus

Howdy! I've been doing a whole lot of research on these forums as well as some other places to get started making a plan for a Skoolie. I have different plans for my bus than most people on these forums, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

I go to school at a university with a very large football program and tailgating scene. Big enough that all of the hotels around town sell out on conference game weekends and people sit in chairs on campus overnight to reserve their tailgate spots. My end goal is to convert a bus into something that can be used for tailgating on game days. Similar tailgating buses/trailers go for about $1200 per game weekend. Since it will only be used for tailgating, it will never have to drive more than 20 miles or so at a time.

Some things that I want to include in my bus are a large TV that can be viewed from the outside, a grill on a slide out shelf on the back of the bus (I'm planning on walling off the back 4ish feet of the bus to be just the slide-out grill and a kegerator), speakers that can be heard from the outside, and perhaps a rooftop deck. I'm still coming up with new ideas, but these are things that I'm sure I want to include. I'm also considering including a bed/bunk beds to eliminate the need for a hotel and increasing the rental price.

About how much would I be looking at to make this happen from start to finish? Do I have any wiggle room in terms of operability since it will never drive more than 20 miles at a time? Is it reasonable to assume that I can use a mid-size bus (24 or so passengers) for this conversion? Any other advice would also be appreciated!

oldrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrock View Post
Howdy! I've been doing a whole lot of research on these forums as well as some other places to get started making a plan for a Skoolie. I have different plans for my bus than most people on these forums, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

I go to school at a university with a very large football program and tailgating scene. Big enough that all of the hotels around town sell out on conference game weekends and people sit in chairs on campus overnight to reserve their tailgate spots. My end goal is to convert a bus into something that can be used for tailgating on game days. Similar tailgating buses/trailers go for about $1200 per game weekend. Since it will only be used for tailgating, it will never have to drive more than 20 miles or so at a time.

Some things that I want to include in my bus are a large TV that can be viewed from the outside, a grill on a slide out shelf on the back of the bus (I'm planning on walling off the back 4ish feet of the bus to be just the slide-out grill and a kegerator), speakers that can be heard from the outside, and perhaps a rooftop deck. I'm still coming up with new ideas, but these are things that I'm sure I want to include. I'm also considering including a bed/bunk beds to eliminate the need for a hotel and increasing the rental price.

About how much would I be looking at to make this happen from start to finish? Do I have any wiggle room in terms of operability since it will never drive more than 20 miles at a time? Is it reasonable to assume that I can use a mid-size bus (24 or so passengers) for this conversion? Any other advice would also be appreciated!
the interior of a school bus is approximately 7.5 feet wide - sketch out a floor plan of what you want to include, add 9.5 feet for a dog nose bus, or add roughly 5 feet for a front engine flat nose bus - that should give you an idea of how long your bus needs to be - oh-yeah, welcome to the forum
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

I'm also curious to know how I might be able to leave the TV on the inside of the bus but have windows or some kind of doors that open to show the TV from the outside? Have any of y'all seen this done before or know how I might do it? I'm imagining something kind of like the one in this image.

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/g...b/tailgate.jpg
oldrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new bus, tailgate