Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
Steel Frame Pre-treatment

So I will be starting my conversion soon I think and was wondering if you guys painted/primed/ rust treated the metal before adding in the extra insulation when removing the ceiling floor/walls on your bus?

Obviously I will fix any damage as needed but I have seen a few folks treat the inside before insulating and wondered with what?

I thought a good rust converter type product on the rust areas after being cleaned and some sort of primer for the rest?
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,625
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
So I will be starting my conversion soon I think and was wondering if you guys painted/primed/ rust treated the metal before adding in the extra insulation when removing the ceiling floor/walls on your bus?

Obviously I will fix any damage as needed but I have seen a few folks treat the inside before insulating and wondered with what?

I thought a good rust converter type product on the rust areas after being cleaned and some sort of primer for the rest?
After remediating rust (Ospho-based is best) and filling holes, Rustoleum Primer is the most common application before insulating and a new floor.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
So something like this after repairs and light rust removal using a garden sprayer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q7XWU4...BGDAS6YV&psc=0

And then this to seal it all applied with a cheap paint sprayer?

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-77...stoleum+primer
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,625
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
So something like this after repairs and light rust removal using a garden sprayer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q7XWU4...BGDAS6YV&psc=0

And then this to seal it all applied with a cheap paint sprayer?

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-77...stoleum+primer
I'd use a wire-brush or flap-wheel in a grinder to get the loose stuff off, but yeah.

... and I'd probably roll it on
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
Yeah I figured I would need to run over the rust with a wire brush/wheel first.

Roll on the primer or the converter?
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,625
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
Yeah I figured I would need to run over the rust with a wire brush/wheel first.

Roll on the primer or the converter?

I wouldn't use a sprayer inside. Despite your best efforts the mist would cover everything, so roll on the primer.

With the Ospho, I'd use a large brush because it's easier to make sure it penetrates the tougher areas.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
Awesome, thanks!
PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,400
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I used a big green scrub brush to apply ospho, then I rolled on primer after it had dried. For the inside of wall and ceiling I'm planning to spray rustoleum rattle can to get a light coat before putting anything against them. Still determining which adhesive to use for attaching rigid foam to the ceiling!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.